F5 Headamp ?

The biggest downside with the 317/337 is still the >3V dropout. especially on lower voltage circuits. We are still talking simple to220 devices with a few caps. Although it would be fun to A/B with a more "fancy" supply - if it did work that is.
i'm quite certain Salas would work - but you may need a small series resistor before the elyt caps, which maybe will degrade some of the performance. But still would be fun to compare.
I will probably remake my boards with LDO + cap multi though, to save some space in my case.

Pinnocchio,
I am using a slightly "updated" version of the Nazar reg schematic. I am just building a second set P2P on 60x80 chinese proto board.
Actually quite easy to do.

Attachments

• Nazar 317_337 PSU.png
    Nazar 317_337 PSU.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,025
Pinnocchio,
I am using a slightly "updated" version of the Nazar reg schematic. I am just building a second set P2P on 60x80 chinese proto board.
Actually quite easy to do.

Thanks Stixx,

The only thing about P2P is I don't like the final look. It always looks like an addon part of a project when mixing PCBs with proto boards. In my head, it looks like sonething that was never finished... Go figure... I must have a problem in the head... :D

In the end, I might end up doing it P2P since I have no knowledge of PCB creation, although I should learn it eventually and be self dependent.

What is the outcome of the modifications you did on the circuit?

Thanks
Do

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Fancy regulators are fine but in my case - I found that good CRCLC (2.2mF/0.22R/2.2mF/1mH and 10R parallel/4.4mF) followed by a simple 7815 or 7915 works beyond my expectaions. Absolutely no noise hiss hum etc. cannot tell it is even turned on. I don't know why it needs to be better than that. The humble 7815 seems to be the whipping boy of shunt regulator purists but shure works well here.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
3V is a minimum. It won't give much headroom for the 7815/7915 when you take Uripple and the dropout voltage in account. Why not use LDO low noise regs and have more headroom, less hot regs and somewhat higher rail voltage ?!

With LDO regs you possibly can use a 2 x 12V transformer and still have 13 or 14V regulated DC.

Last edited:
The only thing about P2P is I don't like the final look. It always looks like an addon part of a project when mixing PCBs with proto boards.

True, but it depends how you do the P2P. The Nazar I just built doesn't look too bad, doesn't it? And it uses BC860C in SOT23 underneath... a bit tricky to solder but doable.

Attachments

• Nazar_p2p.jpg
    Nazar_p2p.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 658
True, but it depends how you do the P2P. The Nazar I just built doesn't look too bad, doesn't it? And it uses BC860C in SOT23 underneath... a bit tricky to solder but doable.

You're right, I'm probably being too picky. I can do P2P and SMD without issues. I'll assemble one and see how I like it. In the end it is hidden in a case where no one will see. I used to do tons of P2P with Radio Shack circuit books when I was a teenager and really liked it. Mind you, it was the only thing I had back in the days with my big 150W Weller soldering gun! :D

Let's have fun again! :D

Do