New PassDIY Headphone Amp (now available)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you like the Salas you should try the original Erno Borberly EB602.

A Battery-Powered Class A Headphone Amp
index

Patrick

I have never been an audioxpress subscriber but nice to now see that the great Erno had worked along similar lines for an hp amp in the past. It would have saved me lot of head-scratching and several breadboardings in topology experiments to end up near there once again if I knew better. Patrick, thanks for the link I will save it to read later in detail.

Finishing measurements...

JP

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 1,191
Yay, I got my Pass Diy headphone amp cased up today. Nothing fancy, just an old tube headphone amp case (modushop) being re-used. Only initial listening going on but it sure sounds promising. The build was quite straightforward without any hick-ups. Thanks a lot to Wayne for all the effort!

I'm using Toshiba FETs (liubincalvin), Nichicon/Panasonic caps and Dale RN60 resistors. The opamp is at the moment LM4562, but I have OPA627 and OPA2132 waiting to be tested. The input caps are now basic Mundorf MKPs, but propably they will get upgraded to Evo Oil versions later on.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 1,027
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    810.6 KB · Views: 1,045
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And we'll have a table to audition Wayne's Amp . Bring your headphones if you want to hear how it will sound into them.

I've been remiss in keeping him informed about the show. He will be giving a short talk, 1/2 hr plus 10 min for questions, which will discuss this amp but we hope mostly give some general observations about his approach to audio.

Mark

Last edited:
Oscillation?

Yesterday I tested the OPA627 after trying LM4562, but I had some strange problems with it. On the right channel I could hear a hissing noise, but the left channel was dead silent. Also the left headphone warmed up a bit. When I switched the power off the led ring in my power button dimmed slowly indicating that the voltage from positive rail dropped very slowly. Also the heatsinks for 2SK2013/2SJ313 felt colder than with LM4562 opamp. I used Apple iPod standard plugs for these tests and didn't have the courage to plug in my Audeze's.

After this test I plugged in OPA2132 and everything worked normally. Could it be that I'm suffering from oscillation? My circuit is almost in stock form: I have 2.2k resistors for R4/R8 to lower the gain and I have implemented the optional C2/C7 (Kemet PFR 100pF). Should I perhaps try to remove the C2/C7 caps to make it work with OPA627? Also the input caps C1/C5 are 2.2uF when schematic cals for 1uF, but I suppose this shouldn't matter in this case.

Anyway I think the OPA2132 was a clear improvement and the bass sounded deeper and more controlled. Would be nice to test the expensive OPA627 too. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, and I'm using +-15 VDC configuration from the power supply.

So I have a Sparkolabs ss3602 discreet OPamp I bought to try in the Salas headphone amp. After a number of listening tests including the wife weighing end, we decided to stick with the original design using the AD823.

So swapped out the 823 for the SS3602 last night in the Pass DIY HP amp. To my ears an improvement. I am really enjoying the bipolar input of the SS over the Jfet opamp. I have ordered an OPA1642 to try.
Qudos to Wayne for a great sounding HP amp regardless of the opamp!

Last edited:
Hi,

I ordered myself a couple of PCBs with the gerbers posted in #457.
I have a few boards left, if anyone is interested, drop me a PM. Since shipping costs are a major part of the overall cost, this will make the most sense for the European fellow DIYers.

@Wayne, thanks a lot for the ingenuity and effort that you put into this project, and the generosity to share it with the community. Can't wait to hear that one sing!

Best regards,

hallodeletue

I ordered myself a couple of PCBs with the gerbers posted in #457.
I considered that approach as well, but in the end I decided to roll my own boards instead:D

Thanks Wayne for the excellent design - I look forward to listening more over the next days/weeks ;)

/U.

Attachments

• passhp-8.jpg
    passhp-8.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 669
  • passhp-9.jpg
    passhp-9.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 644
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.