New PassDIY Headphone Amp (now available)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
EDIT: And after what has been a long, long time, and at least three revisions, PCB are now available here - WHAMMY Headphone Amplifier – diyAudio Store

Well illustrated build guide here - "WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Just to create some interesting discussion, here is a preview of the new PassDIY headphone amp. Wayne's been working on this, and everything so far has been very, very promising.

A few answers first --

As of this post in March '15, it's not yet available. Hopefully it will be for sale in the diyAudio store before summer.

These photos are of the first, non-conforming PCB. The final version will look very similar, the changes for the revision are all very minor, mostly silkscreen stuff.

Of course, it's Class-A. The output stage is really neat.

It has no 'Klunk.' :p:p:p

It will be able to drive any headphone to deafening levels. Gain can also be turned down for super-sensitive headphones.

The whole circuit is on the one PCB. Input jacks, output jacks, and AC are all chassis mount. Of course, you could chassis mount the pot as well. Or use a fancy stepped attenuator. This is DIY, after all. :D

IMG_0643.jpg

A photo of a partially-stuffed PCB and some other parts.

The mosfets will mount to their own heatsinks on the edge. This will make it easy to utilize whatever chassis you like. In fact, the floor of a metal chassis will be enough heatsink and you could just mount the devices to that.

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

This is a nice touch - the PSU is able to be configured for fixed OR variable regulators. This is the basic hook-up for the 7815/7915 pair. But if you would like to use another 3-legged critter with the same pinout, feel free, the pads are there for the extra resistors and cap if needed.

IMG_0646.jpg

(Obviously, this is a partially-stuffed PCB) The heart of the output circuit, the 4N35 optocoupler being used as the bias control. (This is a Nelson invention, I believe...) Bias is rock steady, and easily adjustable by simply changing the source resistors.

Oh, did I mention that you don't need matched output mosfet? :) And that you can use Toshiba, Fairchild, IRF, or whatever you happen to have that's similar? Cool.

Being tested. The two 560 ohm resistors are the test load. (No, there is no headphone jack installed on this chassis, yet....)

Photo-2.jpg

Install whatever headphone jack you have/want on the chassis. Some people will want a big one, some a small, some will want the power switch on the front, others will want it on the back. Make a fantastically gorgeous chassis from wood, unicorn horn and platinum, or just use the cheap&cheerful Hammond that the PCB happens to fit. :) It's DIY!

The name is still up in the air, things that have been discussed are "Perl D" (a workup of "PERsonal Listening Device" and Wayne's Grandmother named Pearl, of whom his previous DIY projects are named. )

I've come up with "Whammy". (Wayne's Headphone Amp Must Make Yourself) But that's kinda silly. (Although I do like it... :) )

Any good name suggestions will be considered.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
-can we use 12V6 Accus ?
-will it drive F4 ?
-is it better than BA3 FE ?
-will it drive F4 ?
-can I use 32R phones ?
-can I use Stax statics ?
-will it drive F4?

In order:

12V6 Accus?? Not sure what that is...

Of course. :) Heck - the suggested gain opamp is the OPA 2604, which can run on +/-24V. Get a slightly bigger transformer, use 7824/7924 regulators or 317/337, and swing even more volts.

No idea yet, I'm waiting for a couple of parts. The BA-3 gainstage is beautiful, as you know, but this will drive headphones, as the output stage is source-follower.

Yes.

Of course. Or 600ohm headphones. Or low-efficiency planar headphones. Or super-efficient IEM.

If you have the Stax step-up transformer, of course.

Yes. :D

Hmm.. wonder whats that op-amp socket doing in there ?

The socket is to try different opamps. I've got a few on the bench I want to try.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Accu - shortie for Accumulator

ya know these things you're having in APC under your PC table and bed and even in airborne gadgets ...... :clown:

just another thing - if reason for using OP as gain device is making Volksamp , why not using plain dirt IRFs on output , as main choice ?

I believe - majority of Greedy Boyz will rather choose slightly bigger PSU and heatsinks than fleabay hassle for Toshibas .......

only if you boyz intend to sell them through Store , as part of package

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
As you know, due to massive piles of the things in the secret Pass Labs vault and warehouse, Nelson and Wayne can only think in Toshiba. :)

This is not an issue, as the output stage works beautifully with Fairchild and IRF.

Because I have a bunch in my coffee can, the first prototype I build will use Fairchild FQP3N30/FQP3P20, Mouser has thousands in stock, for less than $1 each.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The case is Hammond 1455T2201 -- There are many different colors and options available in that same dimension. Metal or Plastic end panels, silver, blue, red, black, etc...

The transformer is the Amveco 70063K or Talema 70063K -- but it's a flexible design and you are not stuck with those specific part numbers. (Although it will need to have the same dimension and pinout if you want to PCB mount it.)

No caps on the output. It's DC coupled, something that the precision of the opamp is primarily responsible for. :)

Don't worry too much about parts and part numbers and such as yet... This is the prototype, and the version when released will have both a full article (in PassDIY style) and build guide (in diyAudio style). Also an annotated BOM which plenty of choices and substitutions for parts depending on your supplier.

I'm sure that many details are different, but it has some resemblance with the M3 from AMB.org .
Opamp input with mosfet output stage. I like the all in one pcb design!

I't would have been great to have a better power supply regulator, such as the super reg from the shop in the pcb, but that would increase the PCB area and complexity I know.

And why not a discrete input stage? The lsk trannies will be sold as matched pairs so the "where can I buy matched devices" problem is solved.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.