New PassDIY Headphone Amp (now available)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Jim.

Here's my crazy idea: I built the BA-3 front end as a preamp. I need a headphone amp and the BA-3 FE doesn't cut it for my Grados. I am thinking I need to add an output stage to the BA-3 for headphone use. The output stage from this headphone amp looks promising.

I want to run the BA-3 front end straight into the output stage and keep it all in the same case and (hopefully) use the same 24V+/- PSU. Sound like a good plan? Worst case scenario I can set up a second reg at 15V for the output stage if 24V isn't a good idea.

I can see some sort of feedback loop on the output back to the IC on this headamp. I would not have that in my BA-3 plus output stage scenario. Any issues with that? I am guessing it's just for feedback use in the IC and I could ignore it.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-19 at 10.07.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-19 at 10.07.39 PM.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,395
Hi,

i will build the Amp.
Can someone mark drain and source of q1 and Q2 in the attached shematic for me ?

I am confused. Is the shematic correct ? The N Type at +15V and the P Type at -15V?

Thanks!

Daniel

Attachments

• Headphone Amp Output Stage.jpg
    Headphone Amp Output Stage.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,246
Last edited:
Q1 has the arrow pointing IN towards the gate. That means it is an N channel mosFET. The K of 2sk also confirms it is N channel.

Two of the three outputs are connected together. These are the Source lead.
The single output is the Drain.
The gate is offset to the bottom side. This also ends up drawn opposite the source.
All of the above mosFET drawing conventions tell you that the drain is at the top and the source is at the bottom.

The opposite orientation applies to the Pchannel mosFET.
It has the drain at the bottom and the source at the top. The gate is still opposite the source.

Lateral mosFETs have the source as the middle pin of the plastic package.
Vertical mosFETs have the drain as the middle pin of the plastic package.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.