Threshold SA3 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I'm a newbie to high end stuff. I mean I have rotel which is not even close but I recently through a friend found a ClassA Threshold SA-3 or SA3 or something. Its huge. A monster.

I have not had a chance to listen to it yet but I hear from every review that the sound is laid back and silky smooth - close to what you would expect from a tube amp. This is the kind of sound I'm after (of course I will need the correct speakers and other components).

My question is of reliability and care. Its an older amp so what can I really expect to go wrong? He says he turns it on to listen to music and keeps it off when not in use (due to the heat). He's kept it out in the open so heat should not be much of a problem.

Aside from reliability, I'm wondering about power output. Say I have a 100W/chan Rotel power amp which would be a sin com compare to but say both are driving some moderate sized speakers, will the higher wattage amp necessarily be able to control the speaker better and sound better at a higher volume than the lower wattage one? For example Rotel cheaper amp working at approx 25% power vs higher quality amp with lower wattage workng at 50% power.

I know its hard to answer. Just wondering what to expect. I'm not one to really turn music very loud but I am building my own speakers - investing lots of time and want to make sure the amp will be able to drive it properly.

Each speaker will have 1 Vifa D27TG4506 tweeter, 1 P17WJ0008 and one Vifa M26WR0908. So basically a 1" tweeter, 6.5" woofer and 10" subwoofer. So far I've got the top section sounding quite nice - just working on the passive sub x-over and having it match properly and sound nice. This doesnt seem to be the most efficient speaker I've seen :) Its being driven by (Gasp) a Soundcraftsmen PM860 amp and my pre-amp is a Rotel (double gasp). The amp will be retired to a home theater setup and my pre-amp will go with it. Need to find a match for my possibly new Threshold amp.

Anyway any suggestions? Should I go for this amp? Is it reliable? Can I drive a set of larger speakers at moderate volume if I need to listen to it above normal listening levels?

Thanks everyone for reading through this huge post.

PS. This amp is the most beautifully built thing I have seen. Looks like lots of love when into it and my god it looks like it would break a sherman tank if dropped on one!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.