Parts Selection - Running in parts first?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

I searched on the topic but I got more info on types and brands of parts than on the process of running them in and selecting closest to ratings/tolerances. I recalled reading a post by Nelson Pass or in his article "Matching JFETs" that he runs his parts under operating conditions or voltages before selecting them. He might have only meant for FETs but it got me thinking whether I should be doing it for my resistors and capacitors and how I should do it.

I admit, for my F5 I didn't run-in any of the parts before selecting them with my DMM/LCR but I'd like to do so for my next build. I was curious what people do when selecting parts and what their setups are. Does anyone run a signal like a sine wave through these parts overnight before selecting which ones to use? Is this overkill or will this give better results at the end of a build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.