Pass Aleph-3 one channel not working?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello DIYforum!

I have had a Aleph-3 with a wonderful sound. I say have had because when I was switching my two pairs of interconnect between my preamp and Cd I wrongly connected one my CD interconnect pair into cd2's red-input and the other into cd3's white-input input on my preamp instead of both in one input either the Cd2 or Cd3. I didn't notice it at once only that one channel was gone, just a faint sound from I guess the preamp. When I realized what I had done the damage was done. I don't know how it has affected the poweramp other than the loss of one channel, but hopefully only a fuse or some kind of protection circuit has taken care of the amp.
I realize this might not be the right forum, but I would appreciate all help in this matter.

Mats Wikman

I seriously doubt that its the Aleph 3, especially if yours is a factory made model. Only a wrecking ball can kill one of those amps!

I'd bypass the preamp and run the CD player directly into the amplifier. Select a CD that has been mastered at a low level, or pick a CD that has something at a low level on it. With the amp off hook the CD player directly to it and then turn the amp on and see if you have both channels playing or not. If there is still a channel out then switch inputs and turn the amp back on. If your still missing a channel turn it back off then switch the L and R spreaker connections. If the same channel is still out then the amp is bad. BAsically if switching things around gets the channel working again then the culprit should be what ever component you last switched around. Hope this helps but is not too confusing....

Mark

Pass Aleph-3 now working?

Hi y'all!

Thanks for your suggestion that I use the Cd-player as preamp. I now both channels working. Apparantly it's that shitty Linn preamp that has been the culprint. I checked before with the headphonesinput on both the cd and the preamp and found both channels in working condition when I listened so my conclusion was tha Aleph was the faulty one.

I'm now going to try check my preamp and see if it's just something with the input although I suspect the preamp has got sick cause all inputs showed the same fault, cd, recordplayer and video.

Thank you for the help

Mats Wikman

Hi again!

Yes your right Mark, I have been thinking about replacing my Linn amp for obvious reason. I thought about that Adcom preamp that got such rave review and has some Nelson Pass design(bride of Zen?) in it and also of course Pass preamps although the price for the Pass preamps is quite high, the Adcom is of couse lower. To build a good preamp based on fewer gain stages would be nice however I'm not sure I can do it. I've so far only modified my former Audiolab amplifier but I know that it's not that difficult as you would think, so I will check out the designs on this forum and see if I'm up to it.

Thank Mats Wikman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.