Which Pass amp?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last month I built ACA mono blocks, only to feed my curiosity! Then I built original B1. I love the sound of these little mono blocks. Right now I'm using boxed Philips alnico full range speakers. Not sure about sensitivity. I also tried B1 with SX-939 power amp. More powerful of course, solid bass, but details are lost, not like ACA. So this led me to think about building bigger pass amp. There is lots of variations, these kind of variations easily confuses a newbie like me.

Got a spare 35-0-35V approximately 500VA center tapped transformer. And I'm thinking about using Powermac G5 aluminium case for a chassis.

So my question is, Which Pass amp should I build? I want to use B1 as a source selector and a buffer ofc, which has no gain at all.

Thanks!

My little babies;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Those are 10" AD4000M. Nice drivers. For closed box, I didn't expect much bottom end, but final response was shocking. Much better than I expected, not boomy, sharp slammy bass. Total 140 liter cabinets..

Do you know the transformer requirements for J or J2?

What about F5? Do I need to play with gain settings if I want to build? Or is it adjustable?

Well I am a newby, still collecting parts (for an F5.)
But from what I have found out it breaks down cost wise to getting
The best & biggest heatsink case that you can.
Then a big transformer and capacitor bank power supply.

After that which model, Jfets and Mosfets is "just" a detail! :bigeyes:

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
plenty of user/service manuals at FW site , same as threads here ....... so all you need for proper prepare is to read , acclimatising your self for actual producing of amp

however - almost all FW amps are using 2x18Vac/300VA xformers , common PSU for both channels

you can build from that , or use 2 of 250VA , if willing to go dual mono route (each channel having own dedicated PSU)

Well I am a newby, still collecting parts (for an F5.)
But from what I have found out it breaks down cost wise to getting
The best & biggest heatsink case that you can.
Then a big transformer and capacitor bank power supply.

After that which model, Jfets and Mosfets is "just" a detail! :bigeyes:

Colin, I agree, case must be big enough for proper sized heatsinks and it must be able to dissipate heat properly. These G5 chassis is quite big and pure aluminium. I think it is suitable for this kind of task.

Which F5 are you building?

Does your transformer have 2 primaries. That is sometimes a transformer is made to be able to run from either 110v or 220v. If this is the case with your transformer you could rewire it for 220v and now have a 17 0 17 volt transformer when run from 110V. Or you could use a full wave rectifier ( full wave not full wave bridge ) and get about 45VDC which might be ok for one of the ZEN amps at Passdiy.com

plenty of user/service manuals at FW site , same as threads here ....... so all you need for proper prepare is to read , acclimatising your self for actual producing of amp

however - almost all FW amps are using 2x18Vac/300VA xformers , common PSU for both channels

you can build from that , or use 2 of 250VA , if willing to go dual mono route (each channel having own dedicated PSU)

Zen, I read every pdf that I can found. Digging every build thread to catch details. In fact I do not need a 40-50W power amp. 25Watt top is good enough for me. These full range drivers are max 10W anyway. If I need a different kind of transformer, it's ok, I can get new one at proper spec.

Does your transformer have 2 primaries. That is sometimes a transformer is made to be able to run from either 110v or 220v. If this is the case with your transformer you could rewire it for 220v and now have a 17 0 17 volt transformer when run from 110V. Or you could use a full wave rectifier ( full wave not full wave bridge ) and get about 45VDC which might be ok for one of the ZEN amps at Passdiy.com

No, one primary, center tapped secondary.

Taken from Aleph J description;
PSU requirements
A Bipolar power supply of (+/- 24V) is required. This will require an 18V+18V (or 36V Center Tapped) transformer from 300-500VA, and PSU capacitance of 60,000uF per rail or more. A PSU for the F4, F5, or similar will be appropriate. See the build guide for details.

Is this means I can use my 36-0-36 center tapped transformer if I decide to build this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.