The Aleph Design Reloaded

20Watt medium aleph 3

Hi All,
I am looking for 20 Watt per channel aleph.
Can you please look into below schematic and let us know suggestion or improvements.

Thanks,
Nag.

Attachments

• aleph20watt.png
    aleph20watt.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,049
Yes. I am trying to achieve Below points to meet
1. My speakers are rated at 8ohm@20W. But ALEPH3 has 8ohm@30W.
2. ALEPH3 has 200W power dissipation. My required 8ohm@20W can lower power dissipation to 160W.
3. ALEPH3 has bias 1A in each output stage. And matching is required for parallel output.
I can lower components and can increase bias to 1.5A so it will reduce distortion and improve sound quality.
4. I removed protection circuit as it not required.
5. lowered zener diode series resistance as suggested by NP.
6. I replaced MPSA18 with ZTX450 as MPSA18 not available.
7. INPUT IRF9610 replaced by FQP3P20 as suggested(Toshiba but not available) by NP.
It is a mini -aleph with modifications suggested by NP.
I don't have experience in choosing R11 resistor value so I copied from another ALEPH circuit.
So please suggest if any modification is required to achieve above.
Thanks,
Nag.
It is a mini aleph with modifications suggested by NP.

Thank you, But your circuit has more components than ALEPH3 and have capacitors in signal path. In many pass articles distortion numbers are subjective vs objective. I am fascinated about pass amps. Many times I (newbie,greedy boy do not know about input circuit) asked in this forum for replacement Toshiba jfets. Later suddenly ALEPH caught my eye with input mosfets. I strongly fixed in my mind to build ALEPH.

I am a newbie, and I am thinking capacitors in aleph3 are not directly passing audio signal.They are coupled for providing some constant dc voltage. Thank you for your valuable time to posting your circuit schematic diagram. But I already finished my circuit diagram which meets my requirement and it has less components. May be next project I will try to build.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
C1 and C3 are in signal path

xrk ......there is a reason why AKSA is not posting schematics of his amps everywhere in Pass part of forum ;

from same reason Nelson is not posting his schematics in AKSA's part of forum .

that's called - professional courtesy and respect.

simple information is enough for anyone able to comprehend subtleties of construction

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
C1 and C3 are in signal path

xrk ......there is a reason why AKSA is not posting schematics of his amps everywhere in Pass part of forum ;

from same reason Nelson is not posting his schematics in AKSA's part of forum .

that's called - professional courtesy and respect.

simple information is enough for anyone able to comprehend subtleties of construction

It’s an open DIY design and it has an Aleph CCS in it and attributed to Mr Pass. Not sure if there is any conflict here or difference from say you or Juma taking a different approach to the Aleph. But in any event, it seems not of interest to folks here. Nonetheless, as the ex officio moderator of Pass Forum, if you feel this information posted is too much, I will refrain in the future. Cheers, x

Last edited:
ZM,

That was not called for. Of course I have respect for NP, we all do, that is the reason I have strongly attributed his brilliant CCS in my Lender circuit.

I scarcely know NP, and he is a very successful man. Perhaps this trifle doesn't even register with him. He might consider it is not important - ask him.

My open source circuits will only appear in the SS or Aspen forum. I would not have put the ALPHA in the Pass forum either; but no need to scold X. He is a good guy and has done a lot of hard work for members here.

HD

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Can't agree more with you Mr. H.

maybe I overreacted , but lately I have somewhat shorter fuse ....... it seems more and more often , when I'm in a middle of process helping someone to understand or debug some circuit , someone is eager to splash not really connected big chunk of info .......

simple link with explanation would suffice , and everyone interested ( as first I always am , eager to learn something new) will follow

Nag just started cracking his Aleph 30 schematic , let him understand it first .....

so , sorry , Grumpy ZM .........

:)

and yes , 6L6 ....... I forgot title of the thread , being concentrated to help Nag in his musings and already telling him to open new thread , to keep water clearer

Probably more appropriate if it had been posted in a new thread.

Papa's amps are tuned by ear.

It's extremely easy to produce an amp that measures great on a distortion analyzer. Even I can do it.

There is a real reason why Papa refers to his work as art rather than engineering or science.

I think it is unwise to say one amp is better than another one purely based on measurements.

459110d1421179834-aleph-design-reloaded-aleph-3-jfet-gif

One query regarding aleph amps .. why a Miller capacitor is not being used in any of the aleph amps / preamps at say Q108 as in above circuit from first page of this thread for reference, unlike used in other designs at their VAS transistor after the LTP stage ?

Last edited: