10w Xsoz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I recently finished a 10W version of Henrik/Nelson's XSOZ.

Many thanks Nelson and Henrik for your wonderful designs!

As the folloving pictures will reveal, I think this must be the (next) smallest SOZ ever buildt. High WAF was a deciding factor for me. The penalty for this is a firebreathing hot amp that runs all of the components on its limits, I doubt that it will last very long in its present condition, but tweaking/tuning will take care of that (I will have to scale it down a little power-wise).

The chassis:

Hybrid between Schroff Euro-Pac components and my own.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,766
Thank you Henrik!

I will be back later aswell. Tonight my X-amps are will be put through their paces. :drink:

Here's a pic of the XBZLS and the XSOZ together.

As to the sound I will simply quote Nelson:

"The Son Of Zen has a wondeful sound, very direct and clear, without the electronic veil imposed by complex feedback circuits."

(And that's before you X it) ;)

Attachments

• xbzls+xsoz.jpg
    xbzls+xsoz.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,568
Woooohhw

How hot does your amplifier run?????

Mad K `s Son Of Zen runs pretty hot. You better put on some gloves on when you turn this amp off.:D

We have been listening to the amp for a few hours now. So what do we think so far..............................

Compared to Mad K`s gainclone this hot beast is quite another cup of tea. For me, the most impressing differrence is the musicallity of the X SON OF ZEN.

IMHO MAD K`s gainclone sounds a bit "thin"/distorted? compared to the X SOZ??! The music has more "layers" with this amp compared with the gainclone.

Mad K, you did it again.

First of all, mad props to you. Your chassis work and layout is, as always, a precise and thorough job.

So, what's it like? How does it sound? Well, my reference in the DIY world is Mad K's old SOZ as well as his later GC's, and also heaps of commercial amps. I'll compare the sound to that of the GCs, as they are what I've spent most time listening to.

The main difference IMHO is the capability do deliver the complete sound stage (as long as you don't drive it too hard). The push-pull GCs come short in terms of bass sound. The bass is "richer", and much more vivid. Last, but certainly not least, it never lags. Even though the GC's are very good amps, they can't match the power of the XSOZ.

It's time for more juice. Logging off...

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drunk: ;)

to me the SOZ has the blackest of blacks... crystal clear sound.

i'm currently building a X-BOSOZ... i didn't want to modify my
BZLS 'cause it's running the Aleph 2's, and i like the sound of them
the way they are ;)

can't wait to pair the X-BOSOZ to the X-SOZ - mostly because
Henriek says it'll sound better being run by the X-BOSOZ.

Mads, could you give some close up pics of the wiring around
your fets?

thanks,
m.

Attachments

• xsoz.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 517
Magura said:
Could you please mail me the schematics used for your amp, including values for trafos and so on.

Im working on a collection of schematics of actually made zen series amps to post on a wiki page.

travelling_mac@yahoo.com

Cheers

Magura

Magura said:
perhaps even include a short review of the building/- the result.

Cheers

Magura

Sorry, I will not do this, because the amp is almost burning up in its present condition... It is simply waaaay to hot, so maybe later when I get things under control ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.