Class A and bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
use bigger bike

:clown:

Attachments

• elephant-on-bike.jpg
    elephant-on-bike.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 935
Joined 2011
Paid Member
What it sounds like we need is somebody who has built a 100W F5T or Aleph and also built the Honey Badger.
They all are competent designs, maybe this will help put the subject to rest.
I know my 25W F4 wipes the floor with my commercial "High Current" Class H+, across all metrics except efficiency of course.

As far as sound quality in bass, I think the most important thing is low distortion and linear phase. And any well designed, direct coupled amp will good in both of these departments. In my experience, class A really shines over AB in the mid-upper registers. And the usually limited power of pure or single-ended class A(which I believe can have much better sound quality than a heavily biased push-pull design) means one would probably be better off going with the AB due to the greater punch available.
FYI, unless the woofer is passively crossed over, like in a multi-way system, the impedance is never going to drop below the DC resistance of the voice coil, which is typically about 5Ω for an 8Ω speaker.

Last edited:
To me, and this is very arguable I think, anything up to 120Hz can contribute to bass punch. That being said, I have a 16wpc class-A crossed over at 100Hz and it does OK. But I have a small space as well. Efficiency of your speakers also plays heavily into it. I have ~90dB on my mids.

My experience is just opposite. I've got BLH speakers ~93dB/1W SPL.
First Watt F3 has better bottom end thant F5 or F4.
L'SIT Amp has better bass than SIT push-pull. And it doesn't refer to quantity but quality.
Bass register is more vivid and has more punch, more realistic, particulary any kind of drums.
At the same time both F3 and L'SIT amp have just little gain and power.

My experience is just opposite. I've got BLH speakers ~93dB/1W SPL.
First Watt F3 has better bottom end thant F5 or F4.
Interesting. My first intention was to do the class-A for the tweets, McIntosh for the mids, and then my Velodyne sub, software crossing-over the whole thing. But then I liked what it did for the mids so much that I decided to build a crossover and go 100-20K with the class-A. Then I had to buy Duelund inductors to get some whiny-ness out of the mids.
Just don't have enough power to go full range at 16W. But maybe biamping class-A is an option with some efficient woofers.

Also, haven't tried it in real life or all topologies. But LTspice gave me some evidence that cranking up the bias in a push pull amp did two things, jack and squat, for improving THD or spurious performance.

Last edited:
Hi,

SE class A gives up the ghost seriously in the bass into low impedance.
Push pull class A handles lower than nominal impedance bass much
better, (by entering class AB below the nominal load impedance).

Both if limited absolute power don't really do bass very well,
but within the power limits bass quality can be outstanding,
the top end of bass and kick drums sounding fabulously
integrated with the bottom end, only heard on class A.*

rgds, sreten.

* Kelvin Labs, 20W integrated. Great power amplifier but couldn't
handle low bass at reasonable volumes, very poor phono stage.

Last edited:
I built the Pass A-40 http://www.homebuilthifi.com/project/267 and increased the caps to 56,000uf per rail. I believe the A-40 is a push pull Class A design, please correct me if I am wrong.

The Pass A-40 outputs are directly connected to high efficiency 15" Klipsch clone 4 ohm woofers in large sealed cabinets as part of a 3 way digital XO system The quality of bass reproduced is well controlled and "punchy", even at full output (very loud).

Having listened to many amplifiers over 30 years (10 as a professional live sound and studio engineer), the only other amplifiers I have come across that had similar quality of tight, punchy bass is a Canadian company, Classe Audio, amp model DR2 (I think it was a push pull Class A design) and on the road/in the studio, were Crown Macro Techs (the models with damping factor over 5000).

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To be fair, I have heard (and even designed) some Class A amplifiers where
the bass didn't quite do it, even at low power levels.

And I have heard (and designed) some Class AB amplifiers which did very well
on the bass, including low impedances.

The main thing is that you can't pin all your hopes on one aspect of a design
and assume that it will work out. It's usually not that simple.

:cool:

Thank you guys.

Mr. Pass, I have been reading a lot about you and watching interviews and q&A. I am becoming a fan of yours. My hat goes off to you. What you do here and what you bring to the table is simply Class A ;). I get my first pass amp next week. The X3. If I love the amp I will be saving all my pennies for two xa100.5. Thank you very much for your input and care about your customers and hobbiest. I have much respect for you and hope you continue with great success.

I have no comparison to SE Class A unfortunately, but my A75 (Push-Pull, Source resistors reduced) can produce quite some low end punch via Isophon Europas.
Commercial amps (H&K, Onkyo) with way more rated power came nowhere near to that on these speakers.

Since the F5TurboV2 i wonder whether that would be an upgrade on the A75 basswise ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.