Transformer starting point: why toroid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been reading here on the fora a lot. Recently the FirstWatt clones really interest me. I was just thinking materials now.

Why are toroid transformers used? Could other types be used? I can get a couple of big transformers with 26V secundaries from some UPS systems. Good starting point for a FirstWatt project? Thanks.

26V. Probably a good starting point for some kind of project. Centre tapped or single secondary? If single-sided, are they identical? When you say big, do you know how much current? If not, what do they weigh?

Single sided, identical, 6.5 kg = 14.3 lbs
Core measures 135 x 162 x 40mm = 5.3 x 6.3 x 1.6 inches. Should be good for some nice amps? True dual mono configuration.

Was thinking along the lines of a balanced F5(t) or F6.

Last edited:
That's could be a slight problem. Can anyone confirm this for the ups transformers?

Lol@jacco like the Belgians make Dutch jokes and the English make Scots jokes. Cheap is good and free is better, but I would pay for a good transformer. They should be as good as, if not better than stock toroid stuff.

no load draw is high because they have to push the power density high enough for a 30 minute full load start at 20C and end at 200 when the battery is dead.

no load temp rise can be 30C or more just from copper and core losses.

reducing the flux 10% is usually enough, 15-20% reduction even better.
many ups transformers have an extra secondary and you can run that in series with the primary. --but that extra secondary sometimes isn't insulated separately, it might be thin gauge wire wound on top of the secondary. so, keep that in mind. but usually there is at least one layer of mylar between it and the secondary, so it should be safe to run it in series with the primary.

I don't recommend taking the core apart, putting it back together always increases the core loss 10-20% and can practically double the no load VA consumption due to the increased air gap caused by scratches in the core insulation and varnish, and if you bake the varnish off then you'll end up increasing eddy current losses.

so if you want to rewind it, i suggest rewinding them without taking the core apart.. yep, its a lot of fun.

stock toroid stuff.

For solid state power amplifiers, even with their inherent downsides, 'stock' toroidals are still way superior to conventional transformers.

Half the weight, much stiffer secondary voltage, with a very friendly magnetic stray field.
Adding a pair of back to back capacitors to block DC, and a mains input filter are a modest surcharge.

(laminated-core transformers for solid state power amps only make sense for ratings over 2kVA, imo. They'd have to have highly oversized cores, and fully bonded laminations, come at a price tag very few can afford)

I consider myself half-Belgian, most jokes I make are also about myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.