Amp for compressiondriver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you recommed a good amp solution of only a few good watt for a compressiondriver/horn. If any design is very good to suppress sibilance sounds or maybe it is more right to say, resolve them good. That could be great.
It also could be great if the amp has no hard to find parts.

Can you recommed a good amp solution of only a few good watt for a compressiondriver/horn. If any design is very good to suppress sibilance sounds or maybe it is more right to say, resolve them good. That could be great.

How complicated do you want it to be? As you only need so few watts you can do almost any amp, and you won't have to worry about amp distortion very much.

The big question is if you want a single ended amp or a push pull amp, see reviews of F1 vs F2 for the style of sound. Maybe something in between?

If you decide you like single end then I'd build say a delite with a IXTH6N50D2, and then get big resistor PSU or even better: an inductor as PSU. Inductors ( Say a Hammond 193T for example ) are great and easy current sources for single ended amps with 0 feedback =)

The simple SIT amp is another option that will probably be awesome as the 2sk82 loves high efficiency drivers.

If you want to try a push pull sound then the circuit will be a bit more complicated but there are some designs out there, I'm not that knowledgeable of them though as I'm a single ended type of guy =)

Last edited:
Suppose you run active crossover since your need is limited to the compression drivers / horns only.
If you have sibilance issues, that should be related to either a driver issue or the integration of the drivers. I would start by isolating and solving that problem. I'm affraid hunting for an amp that may resolve such issues will not bring you any further.

When choosing your amp I will recommend you to carefully concider gain structure, noise, distortion and power - in that order, regardless amplifier technologies. Choise of technologies is more a matter of taste and is highly subjective.

E.g. using 300B SET was not my cup of tea (I have only tried a few, maybe bad designs) but I enjoy my Firstwatt J2's for the purpose. The drawback of J2 is that it gets hot and there are amps that have less noise. But it delivers IMO a smooth and crisp sound. I would also like to try Anaview AMS0100 although class D is not always concidered high enough fidelity, But its data is nice and it has plenty capacity for driving horn stacks.

Firstwatt SIT1 has been mentioned and on horns they sound simply awesome IMO. Despite its tiny 10W it drives high sensitive horn stacks at redicolous sound pressure levels without (at least me) being able to detect any audible distortion.

If you have sibilance issues, that should be related to either a driver issue or the integration of the drivers. I would start by isolating and solving that problem. I'm affraid hunting for an amp that may resolve such issues will not bring you any further.
Fully agree with this. :up:

Any Pass amp will do. If driver/horn is efficient noise might be an issue though.
Layout and wiring commonly are most important to achieve lowest noise, a well
executed PSU (preferably CLC) is another point.

Suspecting it's a tweeter or mid-driver, read on ACA, Aleph Mini and Aleph J.
Bass response isn't their biggest strength.

If i want to go for a Aleph Mine design and I only need 2-3W can i just reduce the current in the ouput stage current source?
Else coud you reduce the voltage supply to the amp to reach 2-3 W output power. I would like to reduce heat and current draw as much as possibe without compromising sound quality.

The ACA is a nice amp for this purpose. It's quite and perfectly matched for power at less than 10w. Anything more usually contributes to noise.

The Aleph J looks to be a step up and something that I may build in the near future.

I have a really nice +/-34vdc SMPS. Can the Aleph J handle that much voltage?

Last edited:
I will hold on to the +/-18V supply. How much current do I need in the output CCS to reach 3W in a 8 ohm load?

I dont know how to modify this active CCS, I guess I can just make a normal CCS, I guess active CCs is only to have a low standing current but is still able to deliver more current to the load.

I have plenty of IRF 610, so i will go for them in the output stage.

P = I²R
Therefore I = sqrt(P/R)
But this is for a resistor, not a reactive load and not for a signal with peaks/transients.
Allow upto 5times this for a severe reactance multiway speaker and maybe upto double this for a single way speaker as in your tweeter. I have not seen figures for single way, nor horn loaded speakers.

i.e I max = sqrt(3/8) * 2 = 1.2Apk.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.