adcom gtp 500ll tuner problem, Nelson Pass maybe?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, anyone have any idea which component seems to keep going out on these tuners causing them to stop functioning? seems to be a common problem with these units. i bought a service manual on ebay but never received it yet. beginning to look like i might not either. any help would be appreaciated, crippledchicken :)

Whats funny is that some "model rockets" are pretty damn complicated, like my 4ft model that will go mach2 and hit 11,000 ft. and built to be able to surive with no damage a fall from that altitude due to failed chute deployment. or the scale models that have gotten up to 30ft tall. Or scratch built solid propellent motors as tall as a man. Or high altitude models that have been able to hit 30k ft+. Not to mention that Mr. Pass seems to be the type of man that will help anyone and everyone he can.

Seems to me it would be much more appropriate to ask someone who works full time on repairs of radio equipment than someone who spends his time designing a completely different class of devices.

Perhaps you can call a local radio repair shop or even the manufacturer if you are looking for statistical data on which components typically fail in a given model.

Petter

moe29 said:
Do those rockets have to file a flight plan??
that's high! how do they recover them (100 miles down range?)
....hmmmm google time

Actually yes you do have to get an FAA waver so that they can re-route all air traffic from the area. And you hoof it on foot or atv depending on where your flight field is. Most you normally have to go is a mile or two to get it. There are alot of sofisticated avionics you can install now days that do a staged deployment, where it will seporate at apogee, then free fall until around 800ft or so, then deploy the chute. Allows for alot more precise recovery. Most sport rockets are around 4 to 5 feet tall and only hit around 3 to 5 thousand feet, so recovery isnt too bad....

And I dont guess you could call a 30' tall scale Redstone rocket a model..:D
www.rocketryonline.com

crippledchicken said:
hi, anyone have any idea which component seems to keep going out on these tuners causing them to stop functioning? seems to be a common problem with these units. i bought a service manual on ebay but never received it yet. beginning to look like i might not either. any help would be appreaciated, crippledchicken :)

Hi, Not Knowing anything about rockets but something about tuners..........
First check if all powersupply voltages are present.
Carefully adjust the discriminator coil after marking the original position. If you get sound back, bingo. If not chek if you have IF signal with a scope, if not adjust the frontend with a very weak signal, using a piece of wire as the antenna.
Anyway get a manual and complain at Ebay. Goods not delivered but paid.
Too techno talk? Don't start on it!
Good luck,
ELSO:cool:

ah! posting problem fixed thanks for all the decent help

jlh28!not trying to be rude but, i don't quite see what's so funny! NO, i don't own all MARK LEViNSON equipment do you? as far as my question, it was just a very polite question and did not deserve your remarks. before i got disabled, and had to retire, i worked hard for every thing i have. as far as Nelson Pass, he seems like a nice down to earth person, as does john curl, who has helped me a couple of times. and as you saw, mr. pass was nice enough to reply. so why, do you feel you have to insult, and compare my equipment to a model rocket? i have never done that to anyone nor, do i intend to! let me add, i do appreaciate everyone elses help on this subject. thanks, crippledchicken :)

holy cow

Gees! it was a joke. I don't care what kind of equipment anyone owns. Heck mine is probably some of the cheapest junk out there. I used the model rocket bit as an analogy. I am a pretty sarcastic guy, and I guess it does not translate well in print. I am sorry if I ruffled your proverbial feathers.

I just thought it was funny that you would specifically ask one of the most knowledgeable people in this community about a common problem, hence the nasa scientist to model rocket analogy.

On a lighter note, I spent the better part of the afternoon on model rocket sites learning about how to prepare rocket fuel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.