F5 Turbo v3 PSU - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2014, 02:46 PM   #1
shersch is offline shersch  United States
diyAudio Member

Default F5 Turbo v3 PSU

I am new to this forum, and to DIY, and electronics in general. My understanding of most of this stuff is elementary at best, and I'm probably going way over my head with this, but I really want to build a pair of F5 Turbo v3's in the relatively near future (pending wife acceptance and wallet acceptance, of course!). After talking with a few people I know, I think I'll be alright, but I'm still slightly confused. This potential project is still in the early planning phase, so I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row. My problem right now is this:

I'm having trouble understanding how to build the PSU. Looking at the Universal PSU V3, there's a bill of materials, and schematic, but I still am not entirely sure how to determine what input snubber resistors, caps, and input snubber caps I need... or anything else for that matter. I guess I'm just trying to figure out where am I supposed to start?

I realize that this is a fairly broad topic, and forgive me for my ignorance, but it seems the only way to learn is to... do it yourself (excuse the pun). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.
Old 25th October 2014, 11:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

At first i would look how to work safely with mains voltage. And safe work with electronics in general.
Not that you accidentally kill yourself.
For making a PSU you can read the article -power supplies- from PASSDIY.com
Old 25th October 2014, 11:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Shersch, where do you live?
Old 25th October 2014, 11:53 PM   #4
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't use the snubbers, input nor output, on a Class-A amp.

Makes it quite a bit easier, yes?

That said, do you live somewhere cool, as a pair of F5Tv3 is literally room-heating... ?

Would this be your first project?

You say you don't know where to start - that's easy; chassis. Determine exactly what you are going to do for chassis and work from there. Look at the 5U deluxe from the diyAudio store, it's about the minimum size for one channel. Deluxe 5U "Big Amp Chassis" (All Aluminum) V2 - Full width with 40mm Heatsinks - Chassis

Check your PM.
Old 26th October 2014, 12:52 AM   #5
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shersch View Post
I am new to this forum, and to DIY, and electronics in general. My understanding of most of this stuff is elementary at best, and I'm probably going way over my head with this, but I really want to build a pair of F5 Turbo v3's in the relatively near future (pending wife acceptance and wallet acceptance, of course!). After talking with a few people I know, I think I'll be alright, but I'm still slightly confused. This potential project is still in the early planning phase, so I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row. My problem right now is this:

I'm having trouble understanding how to build the PSU. Looking at the Universal PSU V3, there's a bill of materials, and schematic, but I still am not entirely sure how to determine what input snubber resistors, caps, and input snubber caps I need... or anything else for that matter. I guess I'm just trying to figure out where am I supposed to start?

I realize that this is a fairly broad topic, and forgive me for my ignorance, but it seems the only way to learn is to... do it yourself (excuse the pun). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.
Shersch:

Although I've built an array of projects, I still consider myself a newbie because I lack the knowledge and expertise that is commonly found at diyAudio. This is, truly, an amazing site and community. After about a year of planning and work, I completed a pair of F5T V3 amps earlier this year. I couldn't be happier with them (other than having a burning desire to play with P3). But as an electronics ignoramus, I gotta say that I would not make the F5T V3 my first foray into amplifiers. The project was hard enough as it was, and I've been playing at the edge of this sandbox for almost 10 years. Getting excited and challenging yourself with your first project is one thing. The F5T V3 is another.

I suggest you find a simpler project to get your feet wet before tackling the V3.

Regards,
Scott
Old 26th October 2014, 01:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Danger Mouse, thanks, I found an article on the passdiy site.

toxic, Pennsylvania, why?

6L6, i'm willing to make my electric bill go up if my gas bill goes down

this is not my first time building amps, but i haven't done anything of this magnitude. i don't know if you guys are familiar with carver, but i built a few of the VTA20S tube amps for some of the carverfest guys that either didn't know how or didn't have time.

SRMcGee, this is definitely not my first time with a soldering iron; I have spent the last two years learning how to repair equipment (although nothing by Nelson Pass has ever come by me), and as I mentioned, I built a few tube amps. I am not afraid of the challenge, and I definitely have the resources, between the expertise on this website, and a couple of friends that I learn from. I am currently in the very early stages of planning anything, but the v3 is simply the only thing that had enough power to capture my interest. given, my speakers are going to be a nightmare to power, and I would actually need SIX v3 monoblocks to power them, but these are definitely amps I want to build and enjoy. I wish I've been in this sandbox for 10 years, but ten years ago I was 13 and had my mind on more adolescent things. I have every intention of learning as much as I can from this forum before I even attempt the build, because A) I think I can learn a lot, and B) I would rather do it once, correctly.

Thanks a lot for the information though, guys. It is much appreciated.

Steve
Old 26th October 2014, 02:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you lived near-by, I was going to meet up with you and share notes, etc. I'm in Arizona, if you want to stop by. Getting chilly here. Down into the 60s at night and only about 93 today.
Old 26th October 2014, 04:58 AM   #8
dazed2 is offline dazed2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post

Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning. But do you also mean no snubbers on the diode bridge? what about RC filtering on the secondaries of the transformer to reducing ringing? is this ok an a class A amp?
Old 26th October 2014, 11:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic ingestion View Post
If you lived near-by, I was going to meet up with you and share notes, etc. I'm in Arizona, if you want to stop by. Getting chilly here. Down into the 60s at night and only about 93 today.
Ah, I appreciate the offer, but unfortunately a random trip to Arizona isn't in my budget haha.
Old 26th October 2014, 12:14 PM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed2 View Post
Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning. But do you also mean no snubbers on the diode bridge? what about RC filtering on the secondaries of the transformer to reducing ringing? is this ok an a class A amp?
If the PSU is ringing, then snubber/s is/are required to eliminate the ringing.

It does not matter whether a ClassA, or ClassAB, or ClassB, or ClassD, or ClassH amplifier is being fed.

Hide this!Advertise here!