power factor correction in class a amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Andrew. A single cap can do some HF filtering, but cannot reconstitute a since wave that has been rectified to death. And this has nothing to do with the Power factor that is the subject here. PF is a linear(ish) phenomenon due to inductive (motors) or capacitive (fluorescent light) loads. Rectification is non linear and nasty.

PF matters in an office block (hundreds of nasty strip lights or CFLs) or in a factory (big effing motors). But you don't have any of those in a domestic setting generally.

But old fashioned filament bulbs are def better for the true audio loony. Maybe I could sell battery powered LED setups for listening rooms.

My basic, but non-typical power conditioner plugged into a socket at a sawmill gave out a nice sine wave. It has C and L.

But either way I haven't found a setting yet where the benefits were not obvious with or without PFC.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My basic, but non-typical power conditioner plugged into a socket at a sawmill gave out a nice sine wave. It has C and L.

But either way I haven't found a setting yet where the benefits were not obvious with or without PFC.

The sawmill will be mainly inductive loads (motors) which do not chop sine waves and is likely PFC. A domestic setting is likely to cause more harm to a since wave.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
the industry uses active PFC terminology also to describe switching power supply input current linearization even if the main effect in rectifier-cap input supplies is current pulse harmonic reduction

it is this use of the term that is relevant in audio power amplifier power supplies where we are creating DC, have to rectify line AC power

which industry are we talking about: audio or SMPS ?

You do bring up an interesting point. If modern SMPS have to be shown to be AC 'friendly' then there could be a theory that powering stuff off them would be beneficial to both the device and all other devices on that ring. For single rail pre-amps laptop PSUs are readily available but split rail is harder. Other than the hypex builders has anyone done a proper analysis of using a quality SMPS for a power amp?

The sawmill will be mainly inductive loads (motors) which do not chop sine waves and is likely PFC. A domestic setting is likely to cause more harm to a since wave.

My filter actually offers some PFC. The regular wall outlet prior was, well, dirty. And there's a few DC motors. But I've got to point out there's nothing but fluorescents in a sawmill, everywhere. In general I'd say a lot of home have worse wiring schemes and some of the loads are very intrusive on sound.

But, again, no matter what location form sawmill, ancient home, apartment complex with a bar in the basement, the results of AC cleanup are always obviously appreciable.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
well fluorescents balance motors nicely, so the PF should be good. Note that PF close to 1 does not mean clean mains. AC cleanup is good, but generally nothing to do with the PF, unless you optimise around the PF of each unit you connect, which I would suggest is hard work.

I wonder what happened to all the motor:generator sets that companies used to have before UPS became ubiquitous. Highly ungreen, but should provide very clean power.

It's called loads of capacitance!

The sawmill has a UPS and conditioner of sort for all the computer. They've moved towards centralized units since using actual computers and not just controllers with relays and lines out the whazoo. In fact it still blows dudes minds when they are like, "wait we can remove hundreds of wires and just run a cat6?"

Power factor correction ensures that the utility does not have to supply more current than necessary. It won't do anything for the end equipment; an inductive load will still be an inductive load.

+1,......loads having power factor closer to 1 means that the utility company will supply lower currents than if power factor was at 70%..

losses incurred in the transmission lines are lesser....lower losses for the utility company means higher profits...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.