Still in production Zen v4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zen v4 Balanced

Blue,

The way i've wired them is pretty much straight forward for either RCA or XLR. When I want to go balanced, I just connect BOTH speaker ground terminals together with a really thick heavy duty speaker cable. Both red speaker terminals go to the speaker. Switch them around if you think you've go the polarity wrong.

Note that I use cold for - and hot for + in the XLR leads. For each polarity will correspond to each PCB for + or - on the speaker terminal.

I still need to find me some nice plexiglass cover for the twins before submitting into the gallery. How about 3mm thick lexan? I know plexiglass tends to warp with heat.

BQ

Re: Zen v4 Balanced

Super_BQ said:

How about 3mm thick lexan? I know plexiglass tends to warp with heat.

BQ

Lexan (trademark of GE) is PC or policarbonate resin , and resists at high temperature , lets say very high temperature.Some brands of PC resists quite happily close to a 10W(or more) car light bulb.

While Plexiglass (trademark of ROHM) is PMMA or polymetylmetacrilate and it is not suitable for high temperatures .

:cool:

The way i've wired them is pretty much straight forward for either RCA or XLR. When I want to go balanced, I just connect BOTH speaker ground terminals together with a really thick heavy duty speaker cable. Both red speaker terminals go to the speaker. Switch them around if you think you've go the polarity wrong.

Note that I use cold for - and hot for + in the XLR leads. For each polarity will correspond to each PCB for + or - on the speaker terminal.
I think you are running them "bridged" and not "balanced". If your circuit is still the NP Zv4 then that is still single-ended (unbalanced). Balanced if you replaced the buffer with a differential amp input stage. You just wired them using an XLR, when bridged, usually used as balanced connector. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 + 1 = Differential?

I think you are running them "bridged" and not "balanced". If your circuit is still the NP Zv4 then that is still single-ended (unbalanced). Balanced if you replaced the buffer with a differential amp input stage. You just wired them using an XLR, when bridged, usually used as balanced connector. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you referring the use of ONE Zen 4 PCB and converting the input stage so it's a differential balanced circuit? You can do without 2 PCB and run balanced on a single board for like 15 watts per channel?

My XLR pins are driven from a balanced source. How would it be possible to run a hot and cold signal 'bridged' with 2 Zen v4 boards? With 2 PCB bridged, we would only need 1 single ended input (RCA) but this isn't the case with my Zen v4. Perhaps I may be mistaken...

BQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.