IXYS 200V Depletion Mode Mosfet Now Available - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2014, 08:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default IXYS 200V Depletion Mode Mosfet Now Available

For a while now, I have seen that Ixys makes a line of 200V depletion mode mosfets, but I've never seen them available at the usual distibutors (so I've drooled in vain) - until now. I just placed an order from Mouser for some of the IXTH16N20D2, a 16A, 200V, TO-247 device that looks promising as a current source load for one of the Sony or Tokin (or Russian or NP) SITs. One could also make a version of the Pass "De-Lite". I plan to use them as a modulated current source load in one of my "Fake SIT" amplifiers. The price is not all that ruinous.
On another note, both Mouser and Digi-Key are offering some Cree SiC mosfets at less than $10 (remember when they were $90?). I have plans for those guys, too - an all semiconductor transformer-coupled push-pull amp running at your usual tube voltage, probably powered by a hefty 115 - 230V isolation transformer and a small aux transformer. Don't hold your breath, but that project will happen some time in the next year or two....

Last edited by wrenchone; 11th September 2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11th September 2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

as always , I'll read your threads with pleasure
Old 12th September 2014, 03:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchone View Post
I just placed an order from Mouser for some of the IXTH16N20D2, a 16A, 200V, TO-247 device that looks promising as a current source load for one of the Sony or Tokin (or Russian or NP) SITs. One could also make a version of the Pass "De-Lite". I plan to use them as a modulated current source load in one of my "Fake SIT" amplifiers. The price is not all that ruinous.
On another note, both Mouser and Digi-Key are offering some Cree SiC mosfets at less than $10 (remember when they were $90?). I have plans for those....
Interesting projects Wrenchone
Have fun !
Greetings
Old 15th September 2014, 04:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

There are still 38 pieces of IXTH16N20D2 at Mouser, same as was left after I got mine - cowardly, lazy custards...
Old 15th September 2014, 10:17 AM   #5
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

The FETs have very large capacitances, and too high an Idss.
How many people on the Pass forum do you think know how to do something with it ?

Patrick
Old 15th September 2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

what's with the negative waves moriarty ?

I think it's worth pursuing because at high voltages the capacitances are lowest and better behaved.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 15th September 2014, 06:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

All the big IXYS depletion mode devices have high capacitance. This may matter in a current source (the biggest intended application), or it may not. cascoding helps fix the problem. The 500V device Nelson introduced for the "Delite" project (IXTH20N50D) had more capacitance, but worked ok for the that amp. When I get around to it, I'll try them without cascoding first.

Keep in mind also that this is not an EUVL "five nines" perfection type of deal.

Last edited by wrenchone; 15th September 2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: more info
Old 16th September 2014, 04:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I was rummaging through my undifferentiated stuff this evening and came across a pair of 3.5k Tomiko P-P toroidal P-P transformers I'd forgotten I had. These might work well in an all-SS amplifier using the Cree SiC Mosfets or with the 800V ST 800V Si Mosfets I have in profusion.
These may be as crudely set up/wound as the Antek toroidal P-P transformers, or if Tomiko actually did their homework, they may approach the Amplimo or Plitron transformers in quality. I've heard no reports on these transformers from the net either way, so I may be obliged to "let the dice fly high".
Old 29th September 2014, 03:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have three "AMP Cramplette" designs that utilize the 200V IXYS device for an exquisite no-parts take on Papa's modulated current source for his Zen amp series. These amps are not anywhere near EUVL's umpteen decimal points of distortion perfection standard, but should be quite listenable anyway, which is the ultimate goal of this ridiculous hobby in the first place. Once I get the simplest one of these efforts to work in the real world, I might let some schematics trickle out. If you want to beat me to the punch with some proposed schematics, have at it. None of the ones I've come up with so far are inaccessible to a person with LTSpice willing to put in some effort.
Old 29th September 2014, 03:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just checked Mouser stock, and only 2 of the big 200V Ixys depletion mode fets are now available. If some of you guys at DIY grabbed them, let us know how your efforts work out. If you're sitting on them waiting for me to lead you by the hand, you'll be waiting for some time.

Hide this!Advertise here!