Want your opinion!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could try a mini-aleph but definitely would have to lower the bias to no overheat the transformers.
I´d only do it if you have 8Ohm speakers which are hyper-efficient.
Or you could switch all the secondaries from the trannies in series to get 60VAV and build a Bride of Zen.

Jens - still hasn´t finished a Pass project in a proper chassis but had a nice time reading the articles

I used a 320VA 13+13 toroid in my Mini and it works out fine for running both channels. Heck, I use my Mini for my computer sound system! I don't think 15+15 is that far off not to be able to use them. Just be sure to have adaquate heatsinking for the output devices. The bias will be a bit higher but thats all the better.

Mark

I used a 320VA 13+13 toroid in my Mini and it works out fine for running both channels. Heck, I use my Mini for my computer sound system! I don't think 15+15 is that far off not to be able to use them. Just be sure to have adaquate heatsinking for the output devices. The bias will be a bit higher but thats all the better.

Mark
Aren´t his trannies something like (15V+15V)*3.3A=99VA.
The introduction of the mini-a from Grey had 18V rails and bias a bit over 2A I think.
That´d be around 72WDC which is a lot for a 99VA trannie.
A 15V/3.3A secondary will definitely sag down to something like 18VDC maximum.
Never researched how long the trannie would survive such a project but I personally would lower the bias or place some fans on the transformers. The hum from the transformer will probably be louder than the fans anyway.:hot:

Cheerio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.