Where to repair a Rawson Aleph 5 clone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2014, 02:47 AM   #1
tonyEE is offline tonyEE  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Where to repair a Rawson Aleph 5 clone

I just bought a couple of mono Rawson Aleph 5 clones on Audiogon. They just got shipped ground.. very well packed, boxes looked fine.

One of the amps sounds great, the other one does not warm up. I can hear some sound but it never really gets going. The LED comes on and I hear some sound through but the amp does not warm up. I looked inside and I can't see anything burnt, the amp looks very well made, it has the Nelson Pass boards.

The circuits look simple enough, but all I got is a voltmeter. is there someplace I could take a simple voltage measurement?

Before I send them back to the seller (heavy) I wonder if anyone knows where in Southern California I could get a technician to take a look at it.

Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

you knew enough to post question here , but you didn't knew what dangerous POS are Rawson's amps?

send it where it belongs , so somebody will have some real benefit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jy.jpg (80.1 KB, 557 views)
Old 30th August 2014, 04:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

no one with respect for them self will want to touch a Tim Rawson amp. send them back and forget all about them
Old 30th August 2014, 04:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

So much for this forum being half useful.

I asked a real question and you just give me useless value judgements of absolutely NO value.

BTW, not only do this amps have Nelson's boards but so does my own First Watt B1 buffer. So please keep your value judgements away.

Do you know someone in SoCal that can repair them or not. If you do, then kindly let me know, if not please keep your opinions to yourselves.

BTW, if you have any idea where I can measure the circuit I would appreciate it. I suspect that the bias is not correct.

And the build quality and the parts look pretty good. I am a physicist by training but do EE and CS for a living.

Jeez... I did not expect the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 30th August 2014, 04:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

BTW, I have noticed that the blue LED in the front panel is not fully turning off. It's still on very dimly but obvious in a dark room.

It's as if the power supply is not fully discharging the capacitors. If this is a power supply problem, I suppose I ought to be able to use my voltmeter to measure the rails.

Any ideas what to look for?

Oh... how should I discharge the caps without causing trouble? Last time I built a power supply I did not put in a switch... I know what I'm doing, I am a professional Well, to be short. I put the caps backwards....
Old 30th August 2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyEE View Post
......please keep your opinions to yourselves.

nice opinion/advice is welcome , but when someone say that his amp are fire in the house - that's not welcomed advice , and when someone say that he's crook constantly producing and selling someone else's IP , that's also not welcomed opinion

Quote:

consider this one as mild , torturing you softly

Monty Python - Spanish Inquisition Torture Scene - YouTube

however - posting question without proper info (set of nice and clear pictures) is counter-productive

give a call to Mr. Rawson - he certainly knows what can be with his amps , without using crystal ball
Old 30th August 2014, 11:59 AM   #7
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So much for this forum being half useful.

I asked a real question and you just give me useless value judgements of absolutely NO value...
You make 1 post, wait a few hrs, get a few bad replies? (facts Not Value Judgments) And we are not 1/2 useful? Value Judgments?

Quote:
BTW, not only do this amps have Nelson's boards but so does my own First Watt B1 buffer. So please keep your value judgements away.
Are you making an implied Value Judgment?

Quote:
Do you know someone in SoCal that can repair them or not. If you do, then kindly let me know, if not please keep your opinions to yourselves.
Sorry, my opinion is, you won't get very far with that attitude. What you've already said will alienate you from many even giving you an answer

Quote:
BTW, if you have any idea where I can measure the circuit I would appreciate it. I suspect that the bias is not correct.
100's of people here do. Read my last comment

Quote:
And the build quality and the parts look pretty good. I am a physicist by training but do EE and CS for a living.

But, you asked for it! This is the best audio forum on the web. Maybe you call that a value judgment but, we would have told you before you bought them Not To! Face it, you've made more mistakes than buying those amps. You need to loose that insulting attitude.
Old 30th August 2014, 12:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just bought a couple of mono Rawson Aleph 5 clones on Audiogon. They just got shipped ground.. very well packed, boxes looked fine.

One of the amps sounds great, the other one does not warm up. I can hear some sound but it never really gets going. The LED comes on and I hear some sound through but the amp does not warm up. I looked inside and I can't see anything burnt, the amp looks very well made, it has the Nelson Pass boards.

The circuits look simple enough, but all I got is a voltmeter. is there someplace I could take a simple voltage measurement?

Before I send them back to the seller (heavy) I wonder if anyone knows where in Southern California I could get a technician to take a look at it.

Thanks
OK, You put your self in trouble, and i can tell you what, i am BANNED for life on Audiokarma for telling people to avoid buying similar amp in forum classifieds ...

I even point on photo what all was wrong in this "BUILD" but mod and then admin told me i don't have right to post negative comment about items for sale! Well - there goes my big mouth and - there come customer like YOU ....

You can post positive [to bust sale] but don't even think about posting negative comment ...

Now, did you contact person who sell you particular AMP on the first place ?

Then contact the builder - cuz no one on this forum knows what he did wrong in your particular amps ...

And post the photos of amps interior and PCBs ...

Dont get frustrated with comments here, cuz is your fault - do some research before you do something like that ...

Old 30th August 2014, 01:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know what I'm doing, I am a professional
I strongly doubt it, as you ask questions about the most basic stuff imaginable:

Quote:
BTW, I have noticed that the blue LED in the front panel is not fully turning off.
It's still on very dimly but obvious in a dark room.
It's as if the power supply is not fully discharging the capacitors. If this is a power
supply problem, I suppose I ought to be able to use my voltmeter to measure the rails.

Oh... how should I discharge the caps without causing trouble?
Have you ever heard of resistors?

Old 30th August 2014, 02:02 PM   #10
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
BTW, I have noticed that the blue LED in the front panel is not fully turning off. It's still on very dimly but obvious in a dark room.

It's as if the power supply is not fully discharging the capacitors. If this is a power supply problem, I suppose I ought to be able to use my voltmeter to measure the rails.

Oh... how should I discharge the caps without causing trouble? Last time I built a power supply I did not put in a switch... I know what I'm doing, I am a professional Well, to be short. I put the caps backwards....

Yeh! Very professional. AND only have a meter?

Come on………..this has to be a troll.

Hide this!Advertise here!