LC Audio story on current woppling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If you can't use one big cap, better to use 25 small ones, than 2, 3 or 4 semi big ones. Why? Because the smaller ones have a large internal resistance compared with the combined low resistance.

A 100 uF may very well have 1-2 Ohms, when you put 25 in parallel, the total resistance is down to 0.04 Ohms which is ok for a 2500 uF cap. This way current woppling is kept down. (If it exists :D )

Anyway still better to pay the extra 25c and get one big cap ;)

I sometimes get very frustrated with this forum. I’m always getting contradictory advice, power supplies seem to be a particularly divisive topic.

So your recommendation is that one big cap will sound best. It has however been stated before the big caps charge / discharge very slowly (why is this) . Wouldn’t this effect be more detrimental to the sound?

For the same money I can get a lot more uF in small cans, does that play any roll in the decision?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.