My aleph 2 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

This is going to be my first Class A amplifier, I finally got around to getting all the missing components for the driver and output boards. I just need to order output fets and heatsinks and start building my chassis.

Here is a picture of the driver board, I run into a small problem. If you can see in the picture, I can't fit heatsink for Q1 driver. I might have to replace 220uf caps with different kind (smaller diameter).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Capacitors and trasformers won't be a problem, I am going with shielded Victoria Magnetics or Plitron depending on availability in the next month or so.

Heatsinks I am still deciding on, 2 11x11 R-Theata per monoblock or 2 Conrad 30cm by 15cm ridged heatsinks per monoblock :cannotbe:

Here are some graphs of the heatsinks I plan on using, two per channel. They are double flanged heatsinks, 300mm in length and 151 in height, 46mm fins.

30151h.gif

Thermal Resistance C/Watt for 80 °C rise is 0.25.

Will this be enough ?

Picture of the heatsink - http://www.conradheatsinks.com/images/2005_c.JPG

Hi, could you not just file the hole a littel ont eh heatsink so that it lines up withthe one on the board, as it doesn't look like the transistor quite reaches up as far as the heatsink, so you could be ok.

(Alternatively, you could remove a small part of the heatsink and trasistor next to the capacitor whihc should allow it to fit with out any damage to the part)

What sort of rail voltages will you be running this at, and what bias currents?

As far as the conrad heatsinks go they seem very good quality to me, and I was thinking of using some of the MF35-151's for my (hopefully) upcoming aleph-x's. Just one question, why are you going for the flanged model rather than the plain flat backed? If you are using plastic package devices I don't realy see the need for the mounting flanges, and it does limit you to a slightly smaller heatsink overall.

bigparsnip said:
What sort of rail voltages will you be running this at, and what bias currents?

As far as the conrad heatsinks go they seem very good quality to me, and I was thinking of using some of the MF35-151's for my (hopefully) upcoming aleph-x's. Just one question, why are you going for the flanged model rather than the plain flat backed? If you are using plastic package devices I don't realy see the need for the mounting flanges, and it does limit you to a slightly smaller heatsink overall.

I am looking for 45volt rails, as close to the original as possible. I think with the flanged heatsinks i'll have less of a chance to screw up and drill holes right through the heatsink. Also, I could use those flanges as part of the chassis structure and mount the driver board and or caps on them.

How does it limit me to a slightly smaller hearsink, i think if anything it would have larger surface area ?

Jean said:
How does it limit me to a slightly smaller hearsink, i think if anything it would have larger surface area ?

I just meant that with that paticular heatsink, you will be getting 0.25dge/w dissipation, however, conrad do a flatbacked heatsink with a rating of 0.21deg/w which measures almost the same, but is 350mm long instead of 300 (althought this is a tiny bit more expensive at an extra 5 AUD).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.