aleph 5 CLC filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to place the Inductors (2x2.2 mH) in my Aleph 5 to form a pi filter. Few simple questions (as I am using this type the first time):

1. How should I place the Inductors (flat or raise up? Should their axle be parallel or perpendicular is fine?). I ask this, because my case is limited in space.

2. Should I isolate my Inductors to the chassis (I think I should, but is it requried?)

Thanks

Thomas

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
This is a debatable subject. Myself, I wouldn't put a fuse in the DC line. I think it would become a noise source. There are those that have used fuses or breakers, and even relays, as I recall. The fuse size would be at least 3A per rail and 4A should be fine.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
IMO anything that can clean up the input AC would help the amp to sound better. Although you may have a problem finding (or paying for) a line filter that will take the continuous 300W draw of an Aleph5 and live through the inrush current that will go to charging the PSU caps on power-up.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
roddyama said:
IMO anything that can clean up the input AC would help the amp to sound better. Although you may have a problem finding (or paying for) a line filter that will take the continuous 300W draw of an Aleph5 and live through the inrush current that will go to charging the PSU caps on power-up.

When the topic of line filters comes up I've noticed lots of referrals to Jon Risch's DIY Line Filter.

Regards,
Dan

Aleph 5 CRC Resistor value

If I wanted to test the filtering effect of either CLC or CRC, what Resistor value should I use? How can I calculate it?

One example I saw is using DALE 0.5R / 50W and another one I saw is 40R / 40W. This is a big difference!

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Thomas

Depends on how much you'd like your final rail values would be. 0.5R would be less voltage drop compared to 40R. I think the effect of an R in a CRC filter is the increase in the discharge time of the capacitor, thereby decreasing the ripple. The L meanwhile in a CLC has 2 effects on the ripple with its dcR doing what an R does and inductance filling in the valley between the cap discharge and the next peak of the bridge signal. The inductor's degree of lag from the applied voltage depends on the value of the dcR.

another Aleph 5 PSU question

The Aleph 5 runs on +/- 34 v (give or take). I have a 30-0-30 transformer which without any CLC or CRC added would give about 42 v rails. I understand adding CRC to the PS will reduce the voltage. Question: Would it be possible to use this transformer with the Aleph 5 with suitable CLC? Or, said differently, what inductor could I choose which would result in acceptable rail voltages?
Thanks,
SteveA

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: another Aleph 5 PSU question

SteveA said:
The Aleph 5 runs on +/- 34 v (give or take). I have a 30-0-30 transformer which without any CLC or CRC added would give about 42 v rails. I understand adding CRC to the PS will reduce the voltage. Question: Would it be possible to use this transformer with the Aleph 5 with suitable CLC? Or, said differently, what inductor could I choose which would result in acceptable rail voltages?
Thanks,
SteveA
Steve,

Theoretically your transformer will give you 42V rails. Actually it will be closer to +/-40V, low load, give or take a volt or so. You have to subtract the drop across the bridge and the secondary winding (depending on the transformer design). Than you subtract for the DCR of the L in the CLC. On top of that (or factored in), as the current draw increases, all of these voltage drops increase. You will probably end up with +-37V rails which would work fine as long as the other components can take the voltage.

Re: another Aleph 5 PSU question

SteveA said:
Thanks,
SteveA

Search for "Duncan PSUD2" on the web for very simple PSU software with great utility.

You need to use an LC filter. This will signficantly lower the output voltage.

Petter

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
SteveA said:
Petter-
I am trying to understand how to use PSUD2. For example, I am trying to model the Aleph 5 psu from Kristijan's site as a "tutorial":
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip/power-5.html

But I can't seem to make the design look like the supply which Kristijan has depicted. If I could see the step by step process in modeling a PSU in this program it would be helpful.

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve,

You won't be able to model parallel capacitors in Duncan's PSU program. You have to add them together as a single capacitance. Kristijan's PSU modeled in PSUD2 will consist of:

Trans => Bridge => 44kuf => 2.2mH => 44kuf => Load (or current draw)

Hi Rodd-

My problem is (I did find the part you made about parallel caps) that I can only make the program do the C or the LC portion. I haven't figured out how to append the LC to the C.

I have the "parts" (except for the inductors) for the PSU so I suppose I could assemble it and see how it measures. I would like to know what the final voltage would be without having to order an assortment of inductors do the trial and error thing.
That fact (and the fact that I am trying to learn electronics as I go; chemist by training) led to my initial question.

Thanks,
Steve

Thermistor?

Hi!
Some more question:
-Should I use 2 pieces 22R 3W thermistors paralel instead of the 1 10R5W-er?
-Should I put them between AC fuse and switch?
-How many Amps draw the stereo Aleph5 from the AC socket?
-What is the best PSU-caps arrangement-conection?
Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.