diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   aleph 5 CLC filter (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/25879-aleph-5-clc-filter.html)

tomchaoda 12th January 2004 02:18 PM

aleph 5 CLC filter

I am about to place the Inductors (2x2.2 mH) in my Aleph 5 to form a pi filter. Few simple questions (as I am using this type the first time):

1. How should I place the Inductors (flat or raise up? Should their axle be parallel or perpendicular is fine?). I ask this, because my case is limited in space.

2. Should I isolate my Inductors to the chassis (I think I should, but is it requried?)

Thanks

Thomas

roddyama 12th January 2004 04:11 PM

You can mount them either way as long as you keep them away from the low level signals. They should be isolated from chassis.

Tyimo 13th January 2004 05:17 PM

fuse

Hi!
Another PSU question: need I use fuse between PSU and Amp board or it is not important? What kind of type and how big? ( slow blow, 4A? )
Thanks !

roddyama 13th January 2004 05:47 PM

This is a debatable subject. Myself, I wouldn't put a fuse in the DC line. I think it would become a noise source. There are those that have used fuses or breakers, and even relays, as I recall. The fuse size would be at least 3A per rail and 4A should be fine.

Tyimo 14th January 2004 05:29 PM

Thanks!
And what about with Main AC filter? Is it good or not?

roddyama 14th January 2004 08:22 PM

IMO anything that can clean up the input AC would help the amp to sound better. Although you may have a problem finding (or paying for) a line filter that will take the continuous 300W draw of an Aleph5 and live through the inrush current that will go to charging the PSU caps on power-up.

Tyimo 15th January 2004 04:30 PM

Thanks Roddyama!

dantwomey 15th January 2004 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by roddyama
IMO anything that can clean up the input AC would help the amp to sound better. Although you may have a problem finding (or paying for) a line filter that will take the continuous 300W draw of an Aleph5 and live through the inrush current that will go to charging the PSU caps on power-up.
When the topic of line filters comes up I've noticed lots of referrals to Jon Risch's DIY Line Filter.

Regards,
Dan

tomchaoda 15th January 2004 09:28 PM

Aleph 5 CRC Resistor value

If I wanted to test the filtering effect of either CLC or CRC, what Resistor value should I use? How can I calculate it?

One example I saw is using DALE 0.5R / 50W and another one I saw is 40R / 40W. This is a big difference!

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Thomas

Blues 17th January 2004 01:49 AM

Depends on how much you'd like your final rail values would be. 0.5R would be less voltage drop compared to 40R. I think the effect of an R in a CRC filter is the increase in the discharge time of the capacitor, thereby decreasing the ripple. The L meanwhile in a CLC has 2 effects on the ripple with its dcR doing what an R does and inductance filling in the valley between the cap discharge and the next peak of the bridge signal. The inductor's degree of lag from the applied voltage depends on the value of the dcR.