aleph 5 CLC filter - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2004, 01:45 PM   #11
SteveA is offline SteveA  United States
diyAudio Member

Default another Aleph 5 PSU question

The Aleph 5 runs on +/- 34 v (give or take). I have a 30-0-30 transformer which without any CLC or CRC added would give about 42 v rails. I understand adding CRC to the PS will reduce the voltage. Question: Would it be possible to use this transformer with the Aleph 5 with suitable CLC? Or, said differently, what inductor could I choose which would result in acceptable rail voltages?
Thanks,
SteveA
Old 22nd January 2004, 02:32 PM   #12
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: another Aleph 5 PSU question

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveA
The Aleph 5 runs on +/- 34 v (give or take). I have a 30-0-30 transformer which without any CLC or CRC added would give about 42 v rails. I understand adding CRC to the PS will reduce the voltage. Question: Would it be possible to use this transformer with the Aleph 5 with suitable CLC? Or, said differently, what inductor could I choose which would result in acceptable rail voltages?
Thanks,
SteveA
Steve,

Theoretically your transformer will give you 42V rails. Actually it will be closer to +/-40V, low load, give or take a volt or so. You have to subtract the drop across the bridge and the secondary winding (depending on the transformer design). Than you subtract for the DCR of the L in the CLC. On top of that (or factored in), as the current draw increases, all of these voltage drops increase. You will probably end up with +-37V rails which would work fine as long as the other components can take the voltage.
Old 22nd January 2004, 04:46 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Re: another Aleph 5 PSU question

Quote:
Thanks,
SteveA

Search for "Duncan PSUD2" on the web for very simple PSU software with great utility.

You need to use an LC filter. This will signficantly lower the output voltage.

Petter
Old 23rd January 2004, 03:54 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Petter-
Thanks!!
STeveA
Old 24th January 2004, 04:33 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Petter-
I am trying to understand how to use PSUD2. For example, I am trying to model the Aleph 5 psu from Kristijan's site as a "tutorial":
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip/power-5.html

But I can't seem to make the design look like the supply which Kristijan has depicted. If I could see the step by step process in modeling a PSU in this program it would be helpful.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 24th January 2004, 07:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Petter-
I am trying to understand how to use PSUD2. For example, I am trying to model the Aleph 5 psu from Kristijan's site as a "tutorial":
http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip/power-5.html

But I can't seem to make the design look like the supply which Kristijan has depicted. If I could see the step by step process in modeling a PSU in this program it would be helpful.

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve,

You won't be able to model parallel capacitors in Duncan's PSU program. You have to add them together as a single capacitance. Kristijan's PSU modeled in PSUD2 will consist of:

Trans => Bridge => 44kuf => 2.2mH => 44kuf => Load (or current draw)
Old 24th January 2004, 06:45 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Rodd-

My problem is (I did find the part you made about parallel caps) that I can only make the program do the C or the LC portion. I haven't figured out how to append the LC to the C.

I have the "parts" (except for the inductors) for the PSU so I suppose I could assemble it and see how it measures. I would like to know what the final voltage would be without having to order an assortment of inductors do the trial and error thing.
That fact (and the fact that I am trying to learn electronics as I go; chemist by training) led to my initial question.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 24th January 2004, 07:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Rodd-
I played around a bit and figured out how to do the CLC in the design.
Steve
Old 24th January 2004, 10:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Rodd-
I played around a bit and figured out how to do the CLC in the design.
Steve
I knew you could do it.
Old 11th February 2004, 04:51 AM   #20
Tyimo is offline Tyimo  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Thermistor?

Hi!
Some more question:
-Should I use 2 pieces 22R 3W thermistors paralel instead of the 1 10R5W-er?
-Should I put them between AC fuse and switch?
-How many Amps draw the stereo Aleph5 from the AC socket?
-What is the best PSU-caps arrangement-conection?
Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!