Where do I buy Plitron transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hbarki said:
I am trying to order Plitron 077014201 for my Zen4 project. It is $78 each is I order from Plitron. Is there any other place where I can buy these other than Plitron?

Does anyone has any suggestions for substitute?

There are other transformers, Avel, Victoria Magnetics, Talema and others. They all make suitable iron.
The only problem with Plitron is not the price, it is the wait. They do not keep any transformers on the shelf. Every order is wound after purchase. The wait is 4 -6 weeks. Far as I know, there are no distributors.
Avel and Talema are available off the shelf. But the prices are not much different. When they were listed at Digi-Key it seemed the big Talema were higher than the Plitron.

George

I just bought a Avel-Lindberg for my BOSOZ, and it is dead silent.You can put your ear on the thing and hear nothing.

Might be a good option if you're looking to save a little money. Contact them directly off their website.

My understanding is Piltron is consistently better on quality. Nelson has a comment on transformers on the BOSOZ parts selection thread last month.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=283344#post283344

-David

Well you can order from Plitron and wait and wait and wait and wait...till they make it in the next production run.....or.....
You can order from Victoria Magnetics and get just as good of product in a fraction of the time Plitron takes to make it and at about the same price! In addition yours can be made any way you like it. Plitron will not do that at the standard pricing!
Mark

SURPLUS RULES!

Leeds electronics in Brooklyn (www.leedselect.com) has that Plitron toroid for $30 ea. Richard over there is a cool guy to chat with. If you are ever in Brooklyn on a Saturday morning, I highly recommend making a pilgrimage to this place (they are only open Sat 9am-1pm or something for walk-in, but always open by email). Its basically a warehouse with 18 foot tall shelves filled with tubes and such! Its the last of the famed 'Canal St' electronics places that has barely managed to survive by moving to Brooklyn.

In general, I always turn to my surplus list when I am looking for something like this. Here's a comprehensive list:

http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_surplus_us5.html

I usually find whatever I need at Leeds electronics, or at Steve's Apex Jr site (www.apexjr.com). MECI in Dayton, Ohio is somewhat over-rated IMHO - it's hard doing business with them by mail/www. Their warehouse is impressive, but you have to spend a few hours wading through literally acres full of crap to find the one thing you need.

PS: the direct link to the transformers at Leeds is:
http://www.leedselect.com/parts.html#transformers

For the Zen V4 power supply, do I absolutely need to use something with 18V secondary? What happens if I use a higher secondary, like say... 25V? Is this going to blow up the amp circuit? What is the limit that I can go here?

Would using higher VA rating improve the performance?

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your comments. I have been in the industry for 25 years, where a normal custom order minimum is $ 750.00. I am sorry our $ 250.00 minimum is a problem for you. We are extremely busy with sales up over 25% from last year. I think our minimum order policy is appropriate. We have surplus or obsolete stock that we could sell below this minimum. If you care to send us your specifications for your transformer, we could see if we have anything in stock that might satisfy your requirements. Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Steve Nolan
General Manager

Plitron Manufacturing Inc.,
Phone: 416-667-9914 extension 241
Fax: 416-667-8928
e-mail: SNolan@plitron.com
Web: Plitron

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I tried google too, just now
and this thread indeed came up right after company info
next is a Gizmo article
only 2000 hits on this thread, since 2004
may just indicate that there isnt much activity at all
I understand that Amplimo is the manufactor
And Amplimo site seems to have been down for a while
Something is going on, but uncertain exactly what is

Sumr also makes transformers in Canada. They look nice and are priced in line with Plitron. I'm interested in either Plitron or Sumr. Just make sure Sumr or any other brand has the same secondary voltage as a Plitron so the rails come out the same as using a Plitron which Nelson uses. I'd like to get one spec'd with Teflon leads.

I just purchased 2 - 500VA's from Plitron with the potted centers - very nice quality indeed. They still have the min. $250 order policy.
I haven't had the chance to "engage" these ones yet.

I also ordered 2 - 225VA toroids [RC0225 922 1] from Sumr a couple of years ago.
These are very well built too, but don't have the potted center.
So far they have been dead quiet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.