The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Joined 2003
Paid Member

I like using those predrilled baseplates. If you leave the legs (standoffs) loose you can mostly always get them to line up to the holes, then tighten to snug. Plus, if you "spacer it a small bit from the bottom panel, you can run wires between them, although I have never done this.

I like the 3 inch high version of chassis for preamps, it allows plenty of height for power supply heat sinks, I used the taller ones as option on the tubecad power supply.

Russellc

C3 coupling cap value

I already started sourcing parts for my ba-3 line stage and my perennial question on this issue has been its large value -10uf-, relative to coupling cap values seen in other preamp. builds. I guess that this value is fullproof for any low input impedance that could be encountered in the next stage. In my case I have a First Watt F4 which has an input impedance of 47k. So, why I could not use a 1uf cap here, wouldn't that be enough, or even 5uf....I ask because in this realm of capacitance values, most of the available caps are for speaker crossovers and there are not too many choices for the best caps without being very costly, for that high capacitance value.

Ok tube cad's PS-19 regulator is out of stock and seems most things on that site are out of stock with no relief in sight.

So plan C for a regulator... ???

For a newbie that also partially builds by looking at pictures, lol, is the salas shunt or super regulator hard to build? (Emphasizing that I'm a newbie). I'm swinging for the fences on this first build. I know there are also kits on eBay, but I am not sure how good those are.

Also on the BA-3 pcb, for C3... what are some options for really nice caps? I'm supposed to avoid film caps? right?

Ok tube cad's PS-19 regulator is out of stock and seems most things on that site are out of stock with no relief in sight.

For a newbie that also partially builds by looking at pictures, lol, is the salas shunt or super regulator hard to build? (Emphasizing that I'm a newbie). I'm swinging for the fences on this first build. I know there are also kits on eBay, but I am not sure how good those are.

Also on the BA-3 pcb, for C3... what are some options for really nice caps? I'm supposed to avoid film caps? right?

Salas shunt and SuperReg are not easy builds. Superreg might be little easier because boards are available from the store but it requires some math to set the voltage. Both are not cheap to make either.

I have used LM317/337 and the SuperReg with the BA-3. Not much difference.

Salas shunt and SuperReg are not easy builds. Superreg might be little easier because boards are available from the store but it requires some math to set the voltage. Both are not cheap to make either.

I have used LM317/337 and the SuperReg with the BA-3. Not much difference.

At this point, whether the magic smoke ends up staying inside or not, my build will be anything but cheap, so that is not a factor.

Math in general I can do, but math on something I don't quite have a mental grasp on (electronics) is a bit daunting. I'm more good with, "oh you want 24v... ok use this stuff and it will work."

Salas shunt hotrodded to the max you can, sounds great. Really affects the sense of openness and space. Thats what I use. Not very difficult to make and plenty of help available.

Finally started using Zen Mod recc of 47uf Elna Silmic2 and Phillips polycarbonate cap for the coupling cap. Let it burn in playing music for at least 50 hours and then listen. I cant make out any sense of space diminishing. Slight change of tone that can be easily changed with P3 adjustment. Great tip. Thanks ZM

nash

I used the Sigma 22 from amb.org Its alittle overkill maybe but it works.