The BA-3 as preamp build guide

to Dneu2011 #1543

Hello Dneu2011,

I would adjust your regulated powersupply to +/- 22.75 Volt. Without the BA-3

preamp hanging on the PSU. First try to get a nice `balanced`or symmetrical
voltage out of your powersupply.
Then hang your BA-3 Preamp on your powersupply and start the adjusting- /
biasing procedure with the pots on the board. (I think you read how it is done?)
Pot 3 into midposition. Bringing it slowly up to `life`with pot 1 and pot 2 (on each channel).Will take some time!!! Patience....

My BA-3 Preamp is running on +/- 24 V up to +/- 32 V perfectly (I made a PSU with a C-L-C - filter followed by LM317/LM337 regulators - so I can adjust the voltage in a pretty wide range).

Still one of my most preferred Preamps!

Have fun and success!
If you listen to it - you will forget the `troubles` :hphones::D

Greets
Dirk

20 vs 22 ohms is an inconsequential difference in the circuit. Bias to 1V. :)

Thanks! Done already. Changes all the time, but after some hours it becomes more consistent.

On your build guide it says I should put a DMM in VDC across R12 to check the offset. It's 0.000... and doesn't change at all.
Output V after the cap is 150mV.

Any concern, or can I leave like that?

- dan

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks 6, but I got that, the one they didn't have was the Select-2 not the AC switch. :nod: The signal input...

Aha... the select-3. When you talked about -2, I though you were wanting the AC switch.

How about this— comes with an attenuator, and input switching for 3 sources. I’ve found the fine/coarse setup in John’s attenuators to be wonderfully useable. Much better then you’d think, they aren’t awkward at all. FrontPanel

Aha... the select-3. When you talked about -2, I though you were wanting the AC switch.

How about this— comes with an attenuator, and input switching for 3 sources. I’ve found the fine/coarse setup in John’s attenuators to be wonderfully useable. Much better then you’d think, they aren’t awkward at all. FrontPanel

Thanks 6, I ordered it... I was trying to keep the cost down, as all this and the F5T are a Christmas present.

What chassis, currently available, would you put it in. DIY store is good, but other options welcome too. Also, input from other DIY members welcome.

JT

Last edited: