F5 Amplifier with lower idle bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Running F5 with 3.3amps idle in the main room for about 1year it sounds superb. Im thinking of building the same amplifier for the office, how would the distortion figures look with about 100mA idle current? Anyone tried this?
Searched the forum a bit without luck.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That low should work just fine, but as juma says, try it. You might need a bit more to ensure everything is turning on properly. Although, as you can guess, the more you can bias the better...find the temp you are comfortable with for that amp .

Running F5 with 3.3amps idle in the main room for about 1year it sounds superb. Im thinking of building the same amplifier for the office, how would the distortion figures look with about 100mA idle current? Anyone tried this?

The feedback(loop gain) is quite low I strongly suspect the distortion figure is fairly high when set to 100mA. Most Class AB amplifiers have very high loop gain hence setting the idle current to 100mA is adequate.

I remember i tried in the past and sound was not good.When i increased bias it started to sound very very good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.