+24V rail, Zen or DoZ or ??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2004, 12:54 AM   #1
azira is offline azira  United States
diyAudio Member

Default +24V rail, Zen or DoZ or ???

I found a brand new complete PS for cheap so I decided buy it now project later. It's output is 24V, 10Amp unregulated. It only has a 4700uF cap in it for filtering so I think I will probably parallel it with at least that amount.
I want to turn it into a pretty simple amp project. At 2-channels with ~5amps/channel and 8-ohms, I could get up to just under 10-watts with a Class-A something or other per channel.
Simple like Zen, or DoZ... What would be good for this PS?
--
Danny
Old 10th January 2004, 03:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The question becomes whether that 10A is available continuously. It'd be a shame to roast the power supply if it can't keep it up 24/7; a class A amp is a brutal load.
Zens take, what, 3A or so per channel? I don't remember offhand, and it's been quite some time since I looked at the DOZ schematic. At any rate, 6A (for two channels) would hopefully be doable for a 10A supply. If you feel that the 10A is a trustworthy rating, then you could boost the bias.
Yes, I'd consider increasing the capacitance on the power supply, but don't put on so much that the inrush pops something in the supply. You'll have to look over the supply and see how well it's built. With luck, it'll take a couple of Farads and laugh...

Grey
Old 10th January 2004, 05:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's heavy

http://www.acopian.com/single-u-goldbox-24to42vt.html

It's an Acopian U24Y1000, it's listed at $135 on their website and I got it for $25. Pristine condition...

The website says at full load, the expected output voltage can be down by 10%. I think it'll handle the 6A, I don't think I'll bias it up any. I'd still have to adjust some of the Zen components to set the bias right.
--
danny
Old 10th January 2004, 03:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a plan. Give it a shot. At worst, you can always reduce the bias if the supply looks as though it's collapsing.

Grey

EDIT: Might not hurt to do a Pi filter on the power supply, as in:
Power supply->cap->inductor->cap
The ripple in the specs looks a bit on the heavy side and that will help tame it.
Old 11th January 2004, 01:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Note that there is a thread specially discussing an amplifier design using low voltage power supplies. A +24 volt power supply would be perfect!

Choke Loads for Zen/Aleph Amps
Old 11th January 2004, 07:25 PM   #6
The one and only

Arrrr, a small matter to build both power amps, simple they be
sez I, and report back to your mates.

Old 16th January 2004, 12:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok. So I'll start with the Zen.

What kinds of considerations will I need to take into account for running a Zen at a lower rail?

I was thinking that I will need to adjust some parts to maintain the bias, but since I won't be able to output as much power, maybe I won't need to maintain the bias current.

There is a variable resistor to adjust the base voltage so I don't think I'll need to adjust that area too much.

Perhaps I just get the parts and ... build it ...

Hide this!Advertise here!