New B4 active crossover

@ Nelson Pass

Shame, if it went from 24Hz - 6276 Hz i might consider one :D

Each of the four filters offers 1, 2, 3 or 4 “poles” for each filter, corresponding to 6, 12, 18 or 24dB/octave slopes. Each of these filter poles is independently adjustable within each filter, allowing wide customization of the character of the filter.

That's as it should be :) If only more products had done that in the past !

I'm surprised you're using a SM PS though ?

They have a common input, and an input switch on the left decides which filter will have level attenuation. The other filter will see the direct input.

The high pass filter and the low pass filter are each independently buffered from the input
and the input attenuator. This assures that the attenuator and the impedance of the signal
source do not influence the performance of the filters.

Thank you. This is a welcome update.

The L setting is provided to switch a capacitor on each filter so as to implement a “Linkwitz-Riley” value set when you are using 24 dB/octave setting

So the new B4 can create a LR4 crossover. Is there a way to create a LR2 crossover?

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I read the manual a couple of times. Do I have it right that the attenuator is switched between Lo and Hi sections, allowing the amp with the higher gain the be lowered by the attenutor?

In the low pass 800hz, 18db slope example, what's the purpose of multiplying the first 2 poles by 2x frequency and last pole 1x frequency? The high pass section is set the opposite.
The proceeding paragraph says to "sum flat". Not sure what that means.
Is it because having poles 1,2 and 3 at 800hz will create a bump in frequency at the crossover point?

Thanks

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Missing RCA washer is normal

If you pick up a B4, you'll notice one of the RCA plastic washers on the inside is missing and the chassis paint removed in that area. Don't panic.
This is normal, and is used for chassis ground. Verified with vendor Reno Hi-Fi.