What else is needed for F5tv2 with Teabag's boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help keep me from making a mistake, but I have recently put my components up for sale. But got to thinking maybe I should follow through with this.

But I have collected these parts over the past year to build 3 F5Tv2

6 boards from Teabag, along with Power supply boards.

3 800va Transformer from the Primrose group buy.

Transistor/fet kits from hayes.

I have a feeling I may need to start all my research over as it has been a while. But does anyone have BOM for Teabags boards, or how simalir is the DIYstore boards BOM compared to Teabags. But one of the reasons I am willing to sell them. Is that my power amp I have been using took a dive. So either I spend the money having it fixed(roughly 300-500). Or I dump the money into finishing these.

I figured I would need the caps for the power supply, some passive components for the boards, and heat sinks.

On the heat sinks, since the ones from the store are roughly 15.5" deep, by 8.25" tall , then would the would 2 of the 8.46 heat sinks from Heatsinks USA work. I would get them 9" tall, so that would be a little larger then the heat sinks from the store.

What do you folks think, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess the fins on the 8.46 aren't as long are they, so those probaably wouldn't work, so it may have to be the 10.08. This were things get costly, as 12 of those cut to 9" would run over 600.00 which is more then I want to spend right now. I guess I could do 4 for now which would get me one amp going.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Why 3? LCR for home theater? Just curious.

Anyway, the most important thing you can do is determine exactly what you will do for chassis. If you don't have that figured out, and built, the project will go nowhere. Everything else is just a Mouser order.

Why 3? LCR for home theater? Just curious.

Yes sir, I will be using one stereo power amp on each speaker for bi amping them.

Anyway, the most important thing you can do is determine exactly what you will do for chassis. If you don't have that figured out, and built, the project will go nowhere. Everything else is just a Mouser order.

Well then I guess we need to figure this out first, any suggestions or is the diystore my best option. I was going to buy what is needed or what I thought is needed from Heatsink USA. But going that route seems pricey.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Duder1982,

Use the largest chassis dimensions in the diyaudio.com store as a model.
The 5U chassis, be it the steel or the aluminum version, will be enough for a stereo F5T v2. That's a big chassis, but it's what the F5T v2 requires. So, take the heat sink size off the 5U and apply it to what you have or want to buy.

Another thing. You'll hear this over and over, but you can never have too much heat sink. :)

Vince

Duder1982,

Use the largest chassis dimensions in the diyaudio.com store as a model.
The 5U chassis, be it the steel or the aluminum version, will be enough for a stereo F5T v2. That's a big chassis, but it's what the F5T v2 requires. So, take the heat sink size off the 5U and apply it to what you have or want to buy.

Another thing. You'll hear this over and over, but you can never have too much heat sink. :)

Vince

That's where things get costly, I would rather double the cost and make sure I have enough sink then skimp and not have enough. The slightly smaller sinks don't have fins that are as long as the ones from the store. Maybe a 1/4" shorter, so would this affect much of the heat dissipation. I could make them taller let say 9-10" vs 8" from the ones from the store, plus they would be a little deeper as well.

Speaking of heat sinks, I do come across some bad battery charges at work. I have managed to salvage a couple. Would any of these be of any use, the ones on the left I have 4 and are easier to come by, the ones on the right I would have to cut them but would end up with 2. The one on the right is 8" tall, but are harder to come by. I was thinking 4 of the ones on the left per channel, so that would take 12 bad battery chargers, which still would take a while.

Attachments

• Heat sinks.jpg
    Heat sinks.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 100
OK just went through Buzz's bom, and diy store bom. I know what I need for parts just have to check mouser, and build a cart. I could ask Buzz but he had 12 diodes of mur3020w, when the store bom only called for 4 per channel which would make 8 total, where is the other 4 needed.

If I go through with this, I am about 425.00 give or take for the rest of the components. The cost to have the amp I all ready have refurbished, repaired should run 300-500. I would still have to buy 2 more amps of the other amps at around 1200.00 a piece, or 2400 for the pair.

So for 2 more of these amps would only run me about 850.00, I think that is a no brainer. My lack of patients is what was pushing me to sell the components of these amps, but thinking about it, it would be easier for me to come up with an additional 850.00 to finish the project.

Now a quick question to the techs, according to the F5T document, the power supply calls for 16 10000 uf 50 volt caps. Is this correct, I think I made a mistake with Tea-bags boards as his only have room for 8 caps. I would still need 8 more to finish the power supply. Or is there something I am missing.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.