Building a BA-3 need help please..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, just embarking on my second ever DIY amp nd decided to go for BA3 after serious recommendations from various members of this forum. I am a noob, so go easy on me... :)

I wish to start this thread by asking if this PSU is any good for a BA3 build?

High Quality Dual Symmetrical Power Supply for Audio Amp UK Designed & Produced | eBay

I realise the caps on the psu are a bit small, would this be sufficient or do I need to get hold of Peter Daniels ?

Thanks

That board has no room for big caps and only 4,400 uf per rail stock. That's about 10 percent of what you will need.

I would either go with peter daniels boards (only 4 caps but can fit big ones), look for a different board or handwire something using computer grade caps. Its not hard to do.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The linked power supply is almost humorously small. The Burning Amps need BIG power supplies. Bigger than the rest of the Firstwatt range.

The Peter Daniels board is nice, but you will need at least two, at which time you might as well get two transformers and build it dual mono. (Or monoblock...)

The other possibility is the chipamp.com Aleph PSU, which can hold (6) 35mm caps, that should be enough for a BA-3 Complimentary.

Amplifier Power Supply PCB | Chipamp Electronics

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Dakku,

I would do the F5. It's the best documented and probably easiest build, lot's of info and guides out there and it's the easiest to get parts for...and probably the cheapest.

If you let us know a little about the rest of your system (speakers, preamp, etc.) and your wants/needs maybe we can give you some better suggestions.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
At your level of experience the Aleph J is going to have a much higher chance of success. The BA-3 is really for a builder than has one Pass amp under his belt.

The BA-3 complimentary (Push-Pull) and the Aleph J have a very different sound (both very lovely) and are topologically very different - which means that if you build one, the other will be a beautiful contrast to the other. Point/Counterpoint.

Anyway, if you make a few design choices early in your build process, the ability to swap one amplifier for another in the same chassis/PSU is quite easy.

SO... My suggestion of building an Aleph J first still stands.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.