BOSOZ - P3 and P4, what if 20K?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is yet another BOSOZ question:

If all I have is are 20K pots for P3 and P4 and want to use those as a volume control in BOSOZ rather than the 5K indicated in the circuit schematic, should I just go for it or are other circuit changes necessary? In particular I was thinking of changing R11 and R12 to something smaller than their listed value (100K) to compensate. Any thoughts? What are the tradeoffs?

Assume I'm driving a number of different amps, including Aleph 3 (23K ohm input impedance).

Hi Igreen,

What you could do is placing a 2 to 5K resistor in series with the signal after the 100k resistor to ground. After the 2 to 5 K resistor, you place the 20K pot between the signal and ground. Now you have just created an elegant shunt-attenuator. :D

With a 5 k series resistor you loose 2,5dB of gain, which may be to much. So it is probably best to take a 2K series resistor.

Hope this helps,

JP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.