Help me identify this amp i just picked up (aleph J?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

i just picked up an amp on ebay and was wondering what it is ?
the seller had no idea but it reminded me of some first watt or aleph j clones i have seen in the past so i bid for fun and actually won the amp. it works fine and sounds great and yet i would really like to know if this is a first watt clone or aleph j or perhaps something different .
i attached a photo for identification.
thanks

rawson 002.jpg

most probably Aleph J , if you have 2 Jfets on left side , one bjt above them and two bjts in middle and all mosfets of same type

it reminds of some Rawsons works , (holes in bottom ) so better give us more pics , to see is it fire in the house case , as many of them

thanks , i will have to look closer and see if i can identify the mosfets and jfets .
what is a bjt ?
i might take more photos also and post later.

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the amp doesnt have a ground to the outlet...looks like there is nothing attached to the 3rd pin on the ac inlet. There should be a line from the chassis ground to the 3rd pin seperated by. Ntc thermistor (cl60). This wont effect the sound but it might save your life. Iam not familiar with the aleph j but it looks like thats what it is. Should sound good but it looks cosmetically and safety challenged.

I would at the very least connect the safety ground and put something behind the pcbs so they can't contact the sinks. Not 100% familiar with the circuit but grounding something on the PCB could send 24V to your speakers. Also, I would test the DC offset before hooking it up to speakers. It looks like a Rawson amp judging from the metal work and lack of safety ground. Do a google search of Tim Rawson.

It's not likely, but you might want to put a stand-off under the boards that will prevent the traces from making contact with the heat sink and also prevent vibration of the board.
Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the amp doesnt have a ground to the outlet...looks like there is nothing attached to the 3rd pin on the ac inlet. There should be a line from the chassis ground to the 3rd pin seperated by. Ntc thermistor (cl60). This wont effect the sound but it might save your life. Iam not familiar with the aleph j but it looks like thats what it is. Should sound good but it looks cosmetically and safety challenged.
Also, I would test the DC offset before hooking it up to speakers.

this :up:

I'd also recommend to clean the PCB with alcohol to prevent the solder joints from detoriating.

;)

BTW:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61381.0

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Amplifier-SS/Pass-First-Watt/Aleph-J/Rawson-clone/39569

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca...-Rawsonte/Aleph-J/Nelson-Pass-DIY-Clone/25684

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88005.0

Last edited:
So, the pics from post #1, 8 and 9 likely are one of the Rawson amps. Wow! I would have thought with all the amps he's built/sold he would have more build experience by now. What I see in these pics strikes me as a first time build from a total begginer with no experience what so ever? No attention to any details or proper methods. Haphazardly formed and placed components. I havent seen a glob-job like that in years, flux and all. I undestand the deplorable accounts of Rawson and his builds that I have read about previously.
I can't understand all the raveing crap about how good his stuff is all over Audiogon. Unless price is all they care about over there? And to call it "an industrial looking design"? What industry do they work in? I would be embarassed to have one of those in my listening room just looking at it. But knowing it is a Pass classic design, I would never disgrace NP's work with such a trashy looking build and then try to sell it!.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.