Funny Pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have gained much from this forum in terms of both learning and enjoyment and would like to give something back. I do not think it is an equal trade, but i would like to think it will be a nice option. I have been toying with this idea for sometime after enjoying a bastardization of the F6 which was named the Funny^6. The problem with it is that it uses fairly rare SSR100 fets, which drive the cost up substantially. THis in addition to the fact that it is already somewhat expensive due to the dual transformers needed. The preamp version is an attempt to address what I feel may some of thw weaknesses of the amp version. First is cost, second is bass response. First problem will be dealt with by dropping the need for SS. THe second will be dealt with by using a preamp format that can feed the venerable F4/BA output stages available through the forum. I have started the final drawing in order to get the preamp off the breadboard and on to something more official. What I hear so far is promising in its ability to deliever most of what you get with the power amp version. Hopefully with some tweaking, I can take it the rest of the way. Progress will be slow and measurements, slower, but I will try to provide both. What the amp and subsequent preamp does do exceptionally well is deliver a musical presentation that I have fell in love with. For me, it is able to create a stereo image that I have rarely experienced in audio. Imaging and soundstage are just a delight. I will not go into a lengthy description as I suck at language and communication in general, but i do think it will be a worthwhile endeavor for those who take the risk. I will provide any and all layouts for those who wish to try it. I wouls suggest just following along if you are interested until I give an all clear on both the sound and the execution. A little teaser of a half done board. First attempt is single layer for home etching. I may push into a dual layer SMD version for personal use, but I believe this will be the most useful in general.

Attachments

• Funny Pre.png
    Funny Pre.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
So when might we see the schemo of your funnyness? The layout requires to much brainpower to understand :D
Actually, I was one of the ones who wanted to try the F4 with a step up xfrmr gain config. If It can't cut it, it should have no trouble driving some smaller outputs for a pre or headphone amp :D

The transformer is only used to create - and + signals for the output fets. The output fets are responsible for all the gain that is provided by the stage. It is very much like the BA3, but I am able to drop the source resistance on the FE Jfets and have no need for the level shifter. The FE is cascoded. The output bias is provided by low noise zener. It is a f6 with different outputs in balanced/bridged configuration, with a common feedback point. Ill try to pencil in a schematic. I always skip that and just draw teh baords.

buzz

I think this provides a great platform to experiment.

As you know I have enjoyed your Funny for at least 6 months driving my PHL 1130s (300-5k Hz) To my ears the Funny is the most enjoyable amp I have used in my system. This includes the F3, Aleph30, BA3balanced/ 4 crippled F4 boards, F4 with Jensen interstage which is my headphone amp and ZenLite. The Funny provides a wider and deeper soundstage with outrageous imaging.

Is it the transformers, the SS outputs, the "balanced" or symmetric nature, or the combination in the Funny that provides this outstanding listening experience. I think using the Funny pre with a F4 would give some answers to what factor may/could dominate.

Would the Funny pre work with a crippled F4? This summer I could easily replace the BA3b front end with your boards and compare.

Sorry I am rambling - I really appreciate what you are doing and Nelson again many thanks for giving us the F6 platform.

Bob

Hi Buzz,
Thanks for sharing your project, it looks very promising.
Any chance to have a schematic? I don't have the patience :scratch1: to reverse engineer the pcb...
Talking about the transformer, is it a 4 windings 600:600 Jensen as in F6?
I've got a Lundahl LL1540 lying around, is it a suitable choice?

Tks again

Guido

This preamp/Ba3 input stage is about adding character. I would put the Pumpkin in this category although I have not heard it. THe Curly and LSK are both ideal for a situation where you want nothing added. This may be something you are interested in or not. If you haev a power amp that you like, then use the LSK or Curly, basically the same thing. If you want to shape the sound a bit, I would go for Pumpkin or , hopeffully this one as well.

Same reason as in the F6 amp. The transformer is just a phase splitter for the output stage,giving a nice symmetrical copy of the signal as well as providing some interesting places for feedback. This is simply a hopeful attempt to create the same musical sound I am getting from my poweramp version. It may go down in flames like a lead balloon, but might as well try. I like the idea of a BA3 FE but without the caps and without distortion created by the degeneration of the FE. Perhaps this is moot as the distortion created by the transformer is greater, but once again, I am not trying to have a transparent linestage. I want some toppings with my toast.

Whether in preamp(BA3 output driver stage) or power amp, the buffer serves a purpose. It improves the impedance seen by the input of the transformer and improves interaction with the output stage as a result. It is also a point of feedback. I make no claims about the success of this pre. It is just an experiment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.