Help wanted: Jfet front-end for Aleph 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had successfully build an Aleph 2 and now I want to go to a next step ahead changing the front-end to Jfet (2SJ74/LSJ74) building a small daughterboard that connect to IRF9610 diff pair mounting holes. My knowledge of electronics is very limited, I try to find something similar but only found Aleph-J or Aleph-X references that have a considerable lower rail voltage, so I’m asking for help.

The first thumbnail image represents the actual IRF9160 diff pair (simplified) on the Aleph 2 circuit.

There are two published approach that I found that are near to the requirements, but they are for a lower rail voltage, the first is from Eric's Aleph-X construction notes, the complete article section can be found on Aleph-X 100w Amplifier Construction Notes, and a sample diagram of JFet replacement at http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esantane/movies/JFET-input.jpg. The second one is from Graeme published on diyaudio thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/73543-ax100-100w-aleph-x-monoblocks-46.html#post1468122.

I have read many posts on diyaudio and other places about people asking for Jfet front-end for Alephs, but I didn’t find a finished schema, so I made my own, please see second thumbnail image.

First all, J1 and J2 represent the actual IRF9610 (Q1 & Q2) on the board and J3 will be a direct connection to the star-ground point. The drain pin of Q2 on Aleph 2 schema is directly connected to negative rail, so I can take from here the -45. I choose to use the Toshiba 2SJ74BL because the 2SJ109BL are really impossible to get from a trusted source, and also the 2SJ74BL could be find matched quads. R61 to R64 are the Jfet source resistors that Graeme used is his schema. R65 represent a drain resistor to negative rail for Q2 like Graeme used on the AX100J and also Nelson Pass recommend on his following post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/146767-j-fet-front-aleph-5-a.html#post1869842.

Questions:

- How the schema looks like, I’m crazy or it’s possible to do that?
- The values of R61 to R64 (15R) are ok for Aleph 2?
- The 2SJ74 Q61-Q62 and Q63-Q64 will require some type of heatsink, also they should be thermally coupled?

Any comment will be appreciated, thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• actual-diff-pair.jpg
    actual-diff-pair.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,336
  • circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,316
Which configuration recommend to try?

I've done my homework, at least up to my limited knowledge allow. I got 3 different configurations that may work, can someone review the images and let know what think about?

Thanks again to all that share their valuable knowledge and experience.

Regards,
Alejandro

Attachments

• A2-Jfet-C.jpg
    A2-Jfet-C.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 373
  • A2-Jfet-B.jpg
    A2-Jfet-B.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,159
  • A2-Jfet-A.jpg
    A2-Jfet-A.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,179
New Schema

New schema with modifications suggested, R72 was dropped and added R78 & R79, the 390Ω value is just because I have some qty of them.

Also I want to ask for capacitor type recomended for C71 (10µF).

Thanks again.
Alejandro

Attachments

• A2-Jfet-A_v2.jpg
    A2-Jfet-A_v2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 563
I would strongly recommend matching all the JFETs in each channel as closely as possible.

I only used the 15 ohm source degeneration resistors in the AX100J because that was the value I had on hand. I also tried no resistors and that worked fine too - but the JFETs were all tightly matched.

I think your Aleph 2J is going to sound really, really nice!

Graeme

I would love to try this - i've just been looking at my long dormant Aleph 2s, to re-do the wiring and fix a few things.

A chance to refresh them with a new front end would really rock! :)

I wish i could do more than just offer moral support, but it's over my head technically ;)

I would strongly recommend matching all the JFETs in each channel as closely as possible.

I only used the 15 ohm source degeneration resistors in the AX100J because that was the value I had on hand. I also tried no resistors and that worked fine too - but the JFETs were all tightly matched.

I think your Aleph 2J is going to sound really, really nice!

Graeme

Thank you for your advice, fortunately today is still possible to buy the Toshiba 2SJ74BL in matched quads. I have some LSJ74 but I haven't luck with match, I will need to continue buying more units to get a good matched subset.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Daughterboard design finished

I have finished the Aleph 2 Jfet daughterboard design (I hope :)), there are 4 attached images, from left to right, (1) original Aleph 2 input stage, (2) the revised Aleph 2 Jfet input stage, (3) the actual mainboard IRF9610 diff pair and (4) the Jfet daughterboard PCB.

J1 & J2 are the connections from daughterboard to Q1 & Q2 (IRF9610s) on the main Aleph 2 board respectively, the orientation of pins is exactly as they are on the mainboard. Also the distance between Q1 & Q2 is the same as in between J1 & J2 (30mm or 1.18in), the idea is to directly plug the daughterboard into Q1 & Q2 pin connections.

An important fact is that drain pin of Q2 (center pin) is directly connected to negative rail, another fact is “source” pin of both Q1 & Q2 are already direct connected at the mainboard level as the original design states, as a way of simplify daughterboard design only the “source” pin of Q2 was used.

The rest is in the previous posts.

I have changed some resistors designations in the schema because there was a repeated number.

If anyone has time to see the diagrams and the PCB, and post any comment I will be very gratefully.

Thanks in advance.
Alejandro

Attachments

• A2-IRF9610-Orig-Design.jpg
    A2-IRF9610-Orig-Design.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 511
  • A2-Jfet-A_v3.jpg
    A2-Jfet-A_v3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 492
  • A2-IRF9610-Diff-Pair.jpg
    A2-IRF9610-Diff-Pair.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 508
  • A2-Jfet-Daughterboard.jpg
    A2-Jfet-Daughterboard.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 487
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.