Problem with Pearl 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Finished assembling my Pearl 2 yesterday. I started it up with a variac and when I got to about 50% it blew the fuse. Replaced fuse and put a multi-meter on the output and got lots of voltage on the output (2 volts before shutting it down).

I'm using an XLR connector for voltage between two chassis and didn't understand that the shield connected a pin and the sockets. I clipped the wire going to the sockets thinking I had solved my problem.

Started testing again today and am still getting negative voltage on the output (both boards behave the same). Almost as much voltage as is going into the board itself. I have done a lot of testing to make sure I don't have any shorts in the wiring.

I pulled one one board and can't find anything out of place. I'm stumped at this point.

Attachments

• DSCN4727.JPG
    DSCN4727.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCN4732.JPG
    DSCN4732.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCN4731.JPG
    DSCN4731.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm pretty sure the LED is orientated correctly...but I pulled it anyway and put one in the opposite direction. I get the same results. (- dc voltage on the outputs).

I know the polarity of the power supply going to the phono box is correct because I've check it numerous times.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well...I have one channel working!

The other channel is the one I switched the polarity of the LED which made R29 smoke. I have the LED back in correctly and replaced three other parts, R29, Q2, and Q11. Now Q11 gets very hot. I had it hooked up and it has very little gain.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I hooked it up to the stereo system and it plays at normal levels now but I don't dare to run it long because Q11 is so hot (touching it for a few seconds becomes uncomfortable).

Could it be the wrong LED (not the same in both channels). I bought the one in the bad channel from Radio Shack thinking a red LED is a red LED.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.