Testing the Zen-Lite

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

My Zen-lite is almost finished. And it is time to test it. I build the balanced version (fig 16) in the article ”Zen- lightenment” by Nelson Pass. I got 17, 2 volt at the output and the difference between left and right is about 20 mV so it´s seems ok.
I used the IRFP 240PBF since I could not find the IRFP240
I´m about to build the bride of Zen but I want to try if the Zen-lite is working.
My plan was to use my IPod headphone output and connect it to the Zen-Lite input. The connection is ground IPod to ground Zen lite and positive IPod out to Zen lite input.
I tried this but the sound from the speaker is very week even at full volume. It almost sounds like the IPod drives the speaker. It is the same at the other channel. My question is if I can test the Zen Lite this way or is the IPod headphone (unbalanced) output a mismatch for the Zen lite ?
Or do you think there is something wrong with the Zen lite ?

Best regards
Dan Petersson

Attachments

• Zen lite 3 komp.jpg
    Zen lite 3 komp.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 429
  • Zen lite 2 komp.jpg
    Zen lite 2 komp.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 418
Hi Dennis
My first try was only one channel to the IPod and then the other.
I just tried to connect both inputs of the Zen-lite (+) and (-) to the IPod (+) and (-) but the result was the same on both channels.
In the Zen-lite I grounded: out(-) and in(-) and the rest of the ground in the schematic to a single point.

Dan P,
it doesn't work that way. Balanced ZEN amp has two inputs (+ & -) on every channel and the common ground. Your IPod has only one output and the ground, so to test the ZEN-E you'll need to create a balanced signal from the IPod (with Balanced Zen Line Stage for example).
For now, you can only test half of one channel at a time (every channel of your amp has two amps). Do it this way:
ground one input of the channel (say -). Put signal of IPod's one channel on the other input (+) of the same channel and connect the speaker between the ground and that half-channel's output. Don't forget to put the coupling cap (say 4700uF) in series with the speaker.
Repeat the same for the other half-channel amp etc...

I try to understand. I see only two inputs and two outputs in the schematics at (fig 16) and two IRFP 240. I assumed that it was a dual channel construction (left and right) with one IRFP240/channel and the (-) output / Input was the ground.
Total of two 300 watt light bulbs / channel. . But is the figure 16 just showing a mono construction witch means to get a stereo I have to build one more ?
When I look at the picture on the last page I noticed two outputs so I thought it was the stereo construction in fig 16.

Dan P

No. The pic 16 shows one balanced channel. Read the article carefully, google for balanced audio - it's too long a story to explain it completely in few sentences. Try to understand what's really going on, or you are in trouble.
Of course, you can use the circuit from pic 16 as stereo amp - every input for one channel, but you'll need two speakers (each connected between one of the output points and the ground). If you want to make it work that way, the coupling caps (4700uF or more, serially connected, one with each speaker) is mandatory.

I made a simple sketch of my original plan to set up the system. I´m building a Bride of Zen as soon as the parts gets here. Hopefully the combination will work fine. I hope the problem with the test was as suggested the low output voltage.

I the text Pass mention “Another potential benefit to balanced operation is the elimination of the output capacitors as illustrated I fig 16” so I did not plan from the beginning to connect a capacitor serial with the speaker.

Is the picuture correct for the the coupling caps ?

Is my schematics correct for BOZ to Zen-Lite or have I missed something ?
Best regards
Dan Petersson

Attachments

• zen _0001.jpg
    zen _0001.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 349
  • zen 2 speaker.jpg
    zen 2 speaker.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 292
You really should build the Balanced Zen LineStage to drive your balanced amp. It can take your unbalanced input and convert it to balanced. Makes no since at all to build the BOZ for a balanced amp.

The BZLS or Bride Of Son Of Zen (BOSOZ) was intended to run the Son of Zen amp, a balanced offering :cool: Just like your Zen Lite

I already have the parts for BOZ and the PCB board and will build it to test the function of the ZenLite. But as moe29 suggested the line stage is a probably better choice. When I red the article and got the impression that BOZ was a good match. Another alternative is perhaps to rebuild my Zen Lite to the lightly balanced version ( fig 15) . I has been a while since my last DIY project but you know how it is one you started the soldering pen it is good fun and you want a new project.

It’s alive !!
Finally I got sound out of my Zen lite. I build the BOSOZ and hooked up the combination. The first time it was dead quiet when I connected the IPod to the BOSOZ. I could not figure out what the problem was. I replaced some components but still no sound. By chance I connected it to a CD player and then it worked. There is a problem with connecting an IPod to the BOSOZ.
The sound was weak especially the base but it can depend on my speaker (to low sensitivity) when it was connected to the CD player.
But I have some more ”problems” that I hope someone can help me with.
When I measure the BOSOZ and compare it with the schematics I get all the values approximately right except the source from the IRF610. In the schematics it is stated to 14 V. but I only get 3.7 V on both channels.

Drain (L/R) =19,9 Volts , Source (L/R)= 3,7 Volts, Gain (L/R)=7,6 Volts. All the values are ground to the measuring point.

Drain changes when I adjust the 10 K potentiometer but not the source.
Is there something wrong witch my BOSOZ or is it ok with the low source value and that IPod can´t be connected to the BOSOZ ?

The second question if it is normal for the coil in the Zen lite to get hot. I measured the temperature to + 80 C after 30 minutes. I installed a cooling fan and the temperature dropped to 60 C.
I could not get a 14 gauge 4mH (1.63 mm) coil in Sweden. My coil is made by 1.4 mm wire. Is the high temperature normal or not ?

Dan P

Zenlite and BOSOZ Update

Hi!

Things are looking brighter for my Zenlite and the BOSOZ. My main problem turned out to be the speakers. My test speakers have been stored in my garage for some years and they were both broken!
When I tested them with my Densen amplifier they sound horrible and then the protection circuit did it´s job. The speakers have left the building.
The BOSOZ works fine with the ZenLite. I run it unbalanced at the moment.
My intention is to get high sensitive speakers as Pass recommended i.e Klipsch. I´m looking forward to test the combo with the Klipsch.

Some questions still remain.

Should the Zenlite coil get hot or not? (See previous post)
As Juma recommended i connect coupling caps to the speaker.
When I tested without them the sound was weaker and unclear.
Is the big sound improvment with caps normal or is it a sign for a problem ?

I used Jinghai 5600 uF 63 Volt. Any suggestions for better types and values ?

Best regards

Dan Petersson

Attachments

• DSC02784.JPG
    DSC02784.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC02783.JPG
    DSC02783.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 130
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.