Testing the Zen-Lite - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2014, 12:00 AM   #11
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

good enough for 8R , for 4R also
Old 24th February 2014, 04:00 PM   #12
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
You really should build the Balanced Zen LineStage to drive your balanced amp. It can take your unbalanced input and convert it to balanced. Makes no since at all to build the BOZ for a balanced amp.

The BZLS or Bride Of Son Of Zen (BOSOZ) was intended to run the Son of Zen amp, a balanced offering Just like your Zen Lite
Old 24th February 2014, 08:58 PM   #13
Dan P is offline Dan P  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I already have the parts for BOZ and the PCB board and will build it to test the function of the ZenLite. But as moe29 suggested the line stage is a probably better choice. When I red the article and got the impression that BOZ was a good match. Another alternative is perhaps to rebuild my Zen Lite to the lightly balanced version ( fig 15) . I has been a while since my last DIY project but you know how it is one you started the soldering pen it is good fun and you want a new project.
Old 6th April 2014, 05:32 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

It’s alive !!
Finally I got sound out of my Zen lite. I build the BOSOZ and hooked up the combination. The first time it was dead quiet when I connected the IPod to the BOSOZ. I could not figure out what the problem was. I replaced some components but still no sound. By chance I connected it to a CD player and then it worked. There is a problem with connecting an IPod to the BOSOZ.
The sound was weak especially the base but it can depend on my speaker (to low sensitivity) when it was connected to the CD player.
But I have some more ”problems” that I hope someone can help me with.
When I measure the BOSOZ and compare it with the schematics I get all the values approximately right except the source from the IRF610. In the schematics it is stated to 14 V. but I only get 3.7 V on both channels.

Drain (L/R) =19,9 Volts , Source (L/R)= 3,7 Volts, Gain (L/R)=7,6 Volts. All the values are ground to the measuring point.

Drain changes when I adjust the 10 K potentiometer but not the source.
Is there something wrong witch my BOSOZ or is it ok with the low source value and that IPod can´t be connected to the BOSOZ ?

The second question if it is normal for the coil in the Zen lite to get hot. I measured the temperature to + 80 C after 30 minutes. I installed a cooling fan and the temperature dropped to 60 C.
I could not get a 14 gauge 4mH (1.63 mm) coil in Sweden. My coil is made by 1.4 mm wire. Is the high temperature normal or not ?

Dan P
Old 18th April 2014, 09:27 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Zenlite and BOSOZ Update

Hi!

Things are looking brighter for my Zenlite and the BOSOZ. My main problem turned out to be the speakers. My test speakers have been stored in my garage for some years and they were both broken!
When I tested them with my Densen amplifier they sound horrible and then the protection circuit did it´s job. The speakers have left the building.
The BOSOZ works fine with the ZenLite. I run it unbalanced at the moment.
My intention is to get high sensitive speakers as Pass recommended i.e Klipsch. I´m looking forward to test the combo with the Klipsch.

Some questions still remain.

Should the Zenlite coil get hot or not? (See previous post)
As Juma recommended i connect coupling caps to the speaker.
When I tested without them the sound was weaker and unclear.
Is the big sound improvment with caps normal or is it a sign for a problem ?

I used Jinghai 5600 uF 63 Volt. Any suggestions for better types and values ?

Best regards

Dan Petersson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02784.JPG (63.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02783.JPG (68.1 KB, 63 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!