Sony SITs - 2SK82 E Rank With 2SJ28 F Rank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SIT amp

A little afraid throwing this circuit into the ring to all you geniuses. Based on some Borbely front-end I once built. It has nearly 2 A of bias current. I have not tried to tweak it in Lt Spice, and most importantly, I have not built it. Thanks to M. Rothacher for 2SK82 model. (And 2SJ28, alternatively, I "inverted" the 82. I can not remember...)

Attachments

• SIT-amp.jpg
    SIT-amp.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 998
Last edited:
Bear in mind the difference in vgs values from N to P. If you just flip my model to make a P-channel you may want to account for that by adjusting the parameters, i.e. the vgs shift, if you use the concise model from Linear Audio #6.

Thank you, Michael. I used your model inverted - surely. Now I went to Jan's page and ordered Linear Audio issue #6.

/RK

Because of the high cost of these devices perhaps a cascode output stage might be worth looking at. Similar to this from Nelson's classic article. Using 2 banks of mosfets to provide the cascode shelving for the sits. Where the sits take the place of the darlington pairs of bipolars.

Attachments

• fig_9_basic_configuration_of_the_cascode_power_amplifier.png
    fig_9_basic_configuration_of_the_cascode_power_amplifier.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 912
Well, my idea was basically to do the following:
  1. Use only JFET or VFET/SIT, not MOSFET or bipolar
  2. Complementary throughout
  3. Use a VFET/SIT follower output stage capable of handling my full range speakers (Quad ESL-63)
Of course one can discuss if this really is necessary, e.g. could the second stage be MOSFETs without any sonic degradation? But the concept is all-JFET...
Furthermore, I have not cascoded the input JFETs, but I expect I have to do something here. Because the VFETs have to be driven from something on higher voltage rails. And I am looking towards 2 x 60 W into 8 Ohms or in that vicinity.
I am also thinking along the line regulated power supplies, with pass :cool: transistors...
I cannot say cost is no object, but I strongly believe the bulk of the cost is power supplies, heat sinks and the enclosure. So there you have the background.
But thank you for the proposal of course!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.