Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2014, 01:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default BOSOZ Help - Remote???

Ok. First of all, I am electronics dumb. I know all about hooking up audio, whats good and not but I am NOT a DIY guy. I normally shy away from DIY with a passion and prefer to buy products with tested performance that have a warranty of some sort.

With that said here is what I need help with. I am looking at purchasing from a friend his completed Bride of Son of Zen system.

I am looking for a way to control this device with a remote control. I am hoping to have my friend install the parts for me, however we are NOT sure how we can wire it for remote control. Thats where you come in

I just need volume control. I only plan to hook up a DacMagic, Turntable w/ Hagerman Phono pre, and a bunch of video game systems (SNES, Sega, Xbox) through another switch.

As such I dont mind getting up to manually turn the knob to switch inputs.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what I need to be looking for. I spent most of my day looking at stepped, and alps pots, and have no real idea what I am looking for.

Below is all the info (and pics) of the build so you can see what we are working with.

ANY HELP would be appreciated. I am wanting to buy this as I know Nelson Pass's reputation is stellar and this looks like a pretty cool pre.

Quote:
It has two balanced and four single ended inputs. It has two sets of outputs but I left it wired with just one pair of balanced and one pair of single ended outputs. It has a IEC connector. The toroidal transformers are attached to the chassis with bolts.

Input/output grounds are star grounded at their respective side of board. I just used twisted pairs from an old chunk of Cat5 cable I had laying around.

I also wanted a chassis to chassis ground. Rather than look for different umbilical connectors, I eliminated one pos and neg power wire from the original two each to the pre amp board. That freed up two pins and one was used for chassis to chassis ground. I still need to get some parts to secure the toroidals.
Here are pics of the system as it stands:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 3rd February 2014, 03:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Been doing some digging on my own, and my friend has been doing a LOT of research. We think we can get it working with a remote.

My buddy found a 4 gang ALPS pot (so we can keep balanced out as an option) on eBay out of Hong Kong. He emailed Bent Audio to ask about adding a remote to that pot. He indicated (quote) that he thought this was possible.

Quote:
The link to the alps pot is a unit that could be wired to a pcb I can supply to get remote.

The power supply to the pcb can be anywhere from 7vdc to 15vdc. Does not need to be regulated but it must be dc. Current draw is about 100ma when the motor spins and virtually nothing between remote commands.
So my buddy is now looking into how to go about powering that pcb, either via a totally indpendent wall-wart, or some other method.

The only drawback he mentioned to me is that the tracking on the left & right channel wont be as good as it was with the existing stepped attenuator. According to his research some folks claim that the alps pots can be within .5 db tracking.

That said we are both doubtful that the alps pot (linked above) is using 1% resistors, so it might not track that good.

Again any suggestions or pointers here would be MUCH appreciated.
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

why not try a volume control from the aleph p?

like in the P1.0 with a remoteable poti

or like in the P1.7 maybe arduino based
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
why not try a volume control from the aleph p?

like in the P1.0 with a remoteable poti

or like in the P1.7 maybe arduino based
Can you link me to those? Been looking on this board for examples and not really good at finding them here.

I have a feeling the arduino would be a bit costly, not sure about the other.
Old 3rd February 2014, 07:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have no link.
look at the schematics of Aleph P 1.0 or 1.7 there you can get the ideas.

You have to write a sketch for arduino by your own.
Or look at the web maybe someone have already done something like this
and shows how to do it

or look here www.amb.org/
Old 4th February 2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

what is the question , exactly ?
Old 4th February 2014, 10:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
what is the question , exactly ?
Looking for a way to incorporate a remote with volume capabilities in to the BOSOZ pre-amp.

People keep mentioning one of the Aleph's has this ability but I cant find a thread or schematic that shows it.

That or ANY way to add a remote with volume control so I dont have to get up to change the volume on this pre-amp.
Old 4th February 2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

- you'll not find schematic and software for remote controlled volume of any official PL product , old or current

- implementing remote volume is as simple as mounting motorized pot in circuit as any other common pot , and adding adequate electronic for controlling motor part of pot

there are plenty of schematic online and kits for same - search on ebay , or some other places

for instance here : Dantimax (elektronik) - Selectors_-_attenuators

sorry - if you and your pal aren't able to find adequate schematic and/or product on internet , you certainly aren't able to build it
Old 4th February 2014, 12:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
- you'll not find schematic and software for remote controlled volume of any official PL product , old or current
Thanks that was all I was looking for. I keep stumbling across threads where folks make inferences to "install the volume control is the Aleph P1.0 or 1.7" or things of that nature but never any actual schematics.

If they are not availible then thats fine, at least I know that.

Quote:
- implementing remote volume is as simple as mounting motorized pot in circuit as any other common pot , and adding adequate electronic for controlling motor part of pot

there are plenty of schematic online and kits for same - search on ebay , or some other places

for instance here : Dantimax (elektronik) - Selectors_-_attenuators
Thanks. That is somewhat helpful.

Quote:
sorry - if you and your pal aren't able to find adequate schematic and/or product on internet , you certainly aren't able to build it
No offense, but the reason I was asking here at this board was because this was just about the only place I could find SPECIFICALLY to discuss Pass stuff.

I am not a big DIY guy because its a PITA to make things work together. I am new at this and normally just purchase a piece of gear I am familiar with (say a Sunfire TGP-II or Sunfire Tube Pre). My buddy on the other hand is pretty deft with DIY as he's got a Twisted Pear DAC with all kinds of goodies in it.

I just figured someone here (since this board is all about PASS) would potentially have a roadmap we could follow to save us some trouble (since threads here keep coming up in my searches). I was simply looking to NOT have to re-invent the wheel since this particular board comes up everytime I search for examples. And those examples have volume control but never a decent explanation of how

Also since I want to retain balanced output and rca output its a bit more tricky from what I gather since I need a decent 4 gang motorized pot (not just a stereo one) with a 100k resistance. I was having trouble finding sources for an alps pot like that.

All I ever saw were kits that were a bit high priced IMHO for being stepped attenuators with remotes.

That and like I said folks keep telling me to look at the P1.0 or P1.7 but never have any actual documentation on such. (see Danger Mouse's post).

I will figure it out. Thanks for the help.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Ummm, that box looks familiar. Nice job!

Hide this!Advertise here!