diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Batterie powerd Pearl, Questions (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/24909-batterie-powerd-pearl-questions.html)

Dr. ODD 28th December 2003 10:21 AM

Batterie powerd Pearl, Questions
 
Hi All
I want to build a Batterie powerd Pearl with lead Batteries and I am not shure at 3 Points

1) I want to bring Power in before C15. I could give 30V by using 6V Batteries but it would be easyer to give 36 V ( I would like to use 12V Batteries because it is easyer to find chargers for them, and 24V cold be a littel low as I read in a former Thread). Higher ratet caps would be no Problem.
Do you think I would blow something else whith the higer voltage ??

2) I cold give a second Voltage of 24 V before C8 and get rid of the regulation circut around Q 3. Do you think this would be an advantage ??

3) Could the combination of 1)and 2) bring some Problems ??

Panelhead 28th December 2003 02:00 PM

Re: Batterie powerd Pearl, Questions
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. ODD
Hi All
I want to build a Batterie powerd Pearl with lead Batteries and I am not shure at 3 Points

1) I want to bring Power in before C15. I could give 30V by using 6V Batteries but it would be easyer to give 36 V ( I would like to use 12V Batteries because it is easyer to find chargers for them, and 24V cold be a littel low as I read in a former Thread). Higher ratet caps would be no Problem.
Do you think I would blow something else whith the higer voltage ??

2) I cold give a second Voltage of 24 V before C8 and get rid of the regulation circut around Q 3. Do you think this would be an advantage ??

3) Could the combination of 1)and 2) bring some Problems ??


The small problem is that most 12 volt batteries output 13.2 volts. Three would give something like 39.6 volts at the power level seen in the Pearl.
The two in series should put out 26.4 volts. This is usable if bypassing the first regulator. With batteries the regulator should be fine. Keep the second regulator. The input stage needs very clean power.

George

Dr. ODD 28th December 2003 04:04 PM

Thank you George

I wanted to get rid of the second regulater because I thought the Power would be cleaner and faster if it comes directly from the Batteries (of course via a few caps):angel: :angel: :angel:

Bernhard

akb1212 28th December 2003 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. ODD
Thank you George

I wanted to get rid of the second regulater because I thought the Power would be cleaner and faster if it comes directly from the Batteries (of course via a few caps):angel: :angel: :angel:

Bernhard


There should be no need for the regulators if using only batteries no :)

For more detail on how to charge take a look at my post here: http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthrea...502#post289502

By following the simple guidance’s given it should be easy to make your own charger that could be part of the system. You could have a switch to go from charging (and possibly using while charging if constant voltage charging) to battery use.

This is the way I'm going for. The only problem is that this way of charging is much slower. But the upside is that you can use the regulators in the circuit (you just scale the regulators to be able to take the charging currents, but at constant voltage these are rather low, thus also the long charging times), and you can even use the amp (or whatever) while charging if needed.

There are also charger regulator chips available that is possible to use on other voltages than 12V. You just have to do some searching.....

Anders

johnferrier 28th December 2003 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by akb1212

There should be no need for the regulators if using only batteries no :)

Hi,

I'm interested in a battery powered amplifier and wonder about using batteries without regulators.

Is it a problem for this type of amplifier if the discharge rate differs on the + and - rails? What if the voltages don't track?

For the Pearl amplifier, does a 1 volt difference on the + and - rails cause a DC offset?


JF

Dr. ODD 28th December 2003 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnferrier


For the Pearl amplifier, does a 1 volt difference on the + and - rails cause a DC offset?


JF


The Pearl does not have + and - rails, just + and ground . So this Problem can not appear:)

(I dont know whats about in other amps)

joho 28th December 2003 09:02 PM

Battery powered amps
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. ODD
Thank you George

I wanted to get rid of the second regulater because I thought the Power would be cleaner and faster if it comes directly from the Batteries (of course via a few caps):angel: :angel: :angel:

Bernhard

Hello Bernhard,

One remark, battery power is clean but slow and sounds dull. The only solution is a buffer with large caps(40000uF min.). Take as much as you can get(and afford).
Take HQ capacitors like the BC154-series.
Only then,your amp starts singing !

Regards,
Johan.:smash:

Dr. ODD 29th December 2003 08:40 AM

Thank you for the manny usefull hints

but could anybody come back to my first asked Questions ?:spin: :spin: :spin:

joho 29th December 2003 09:12 PM

Bypassing the regulation circuit of the Pearl
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. ODD
Thank you for the manny usefull hints

but could anybody come back to my first asked Questions ?:spin: :spin: :spin:

Hi Bernhard,

You can put 3x13=39V battery power at C15 if you like but don't kick out the second regulator ,that's a realy important one(as mentioned before in this thread.
I think the circuit is not very critical but it's better to make R13 and R14 a little higher. All the expected voltages are notated in the schematics so it's a peace of cake.
By the way,bypassing regulation circuits is not a garanty for better sound quality. In fact you must build both and listen for differences.
Did you already look at the Aleph_ono phono amp ?
That's top of the bill.

Regards,
Johan.

Dr. ODD 29th December 2003 10:58 PM

Thank you Johan,

yes I had a look on the ono but it seemed to me much more complicated than the Pearl.:bawling:
I think I would not be abel to build the Pcb:bawling:
Maybe if the ono Pcb group buy which is planned happens I will try it:) :) :)
But I think building the Pearl should be great anyway:) lots of People in the Forum seemt to be verry happy whith it.:) :) :)

At the moment I think it is better to build a Pearl then to plan a ono:D :D :D

Kind Regards
Bernhard

Ps: I love those Smilies:clown: :clown: :clown:


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:26 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2