Sony VFET Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Rs.jpg
    Rs.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,494
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
What's the score with these devices offered for sale today ? Only reason for asking is curiosity. Are these devices being copied somewhere (such as by the like of ISC, ) or is there actually a lot of new old stock around ?

Littlediode seem to have them at around £40 each and available in quantity.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Crazy =)

How do you solve biasing, are they all super matched so you can use one bias supply per side?

And on the topic on supply, do you know if they will manufacture more VFETs, possibly new modern ones?

I matched them to about 5% of each other. The bias voltage is quite high,
on the order order of -10V and the whole thing has to be regulated due to
the characteristics of SITs. The biggest trick is to get the bias voltage
in place before power gets to the VFETs or they conduct a lot of current.

I am not aware of any intent on the part of Sony to produce more VFETs.

:cool:

N.P. Hate to throw a damper on the accolades but I think you over did it. Why so big and powerful?

From a marketing standpoint you could have made what? 4 times as many at 100-120watts per, enough to damage anyone's hearing. (and still received the accolades) Could have promoted a chance to win one and the dealers would have eaten it up.

Hi fellows,

I don't think you can justify to me building and then selling a 250W Class A amp. Well most people have forgotten about globe warming, especially those who can afford and own these kind of amps, like leave them running them(monoblocks) whole day long just to listen to a few music tracks as background music.
I own only low powered tube(10watts) and 25watts solid state Class A amps by choice.

Ever been to an auto show? Ever seen the 'Concept' machines on show which never will make it into being production machines? They are simply 'statement of capability' items which come under the catagory of being 'positional' advertising of a brand.

Also makers occasionally show items under the 'homage au' heading.

These amps fall nicely in both catagories and will I suspect stay in the Pass Museum.

I own only low powered tube(10watts) and 25watts solid state Class A amps by choice.

Mate: You and I understand quality of sound reproduction doesn't rely on high wattage. And the best class A amps though not efficient run out of steam at 45 watts maybe? At 4ohms that's enough to do some serious damage.

My point still is it would have been a remarkable marketing scheme for sony..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.