BUZ900 Series MOSFETs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2003, 05:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default BUZ900 Series MOSFETs

I did a search for the BUZ900 series MOSFETs, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate. I can't imagine why this hasn't been debated before!

What's the opinion on using the BUZ900 series MOSFETs for the Zen amps?

I intend to build a zen.v.4 in March to go head-to-head with my 10 watt tube amp.

Therefore, my thinking of using the (sometimes) highly regarded BUZ transistors.
Old 22nd December 2003, 09:12 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I just uploaded some datasheets on the BUZ900/901 here .
Maybe this could help you. I never used the devices myself so I can't comment on them.
They’re still available, but rather expensive.

/Hugo
Old 22nd December 2003, 10:17 PM   #3
The one and only

They look acceptable. Transconductance is a little low,
but then so is the capacitance, and you probably can
have a higher input impedance without degradation.
Old 23rd December 2003, 01:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have read the data sheets on the transistors.

Some guys have been big fans of the BUZ900 series (such as John Broskie of Tube Cad Journal).

I'm quite surprised that Zen fans have not tried them. Maybe I'll be a first.....

(that's never happened before!)
Old 23rd December 2003, 01:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default BUZ mosfets

Anyone have any idea how much they are here in the US? I couldn't even find a distributor. Mouser lists one or two BUZ types but I don't know if they are suitable for the Pass SE amps. I suggest sticking with the IRF types recommended by Uncle Nelson..

-T
Old 23rd December 2003, 02:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm certainly not double-guessing Pass's work (at least not in this area, however, I’ve never tasted his cooking).

If he's tried the BUZ900 (note: have you?) and was dissatisfied, then there ya go, that's all ya need to know. His article in Jan 2004 audioXpress makes it clear that the output device selection is important. The BUZ900 probably isn't what he's looking for commercially - his business case probably likes IRF a lot better (NYSE: IRF at $48.18). Therefore, maybe because Pass Labs can't build a business case using the BUZ900, he hasn't fully evaluated it.

That's what DIYers are for...

He's got his "horde of minions" , so I can't imagine that someone hasn't tried 'em yet.

Hide this!Advertise here!