Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Two B1 questions

1. Unit gain.

I just finished building a first Watt B1, I seem to only to get 80% volumn comparing to source directly connected to power amp. Is this normal? What could be the issue? Will a better potentiometer solve the problem and bring out about 100%?

2. Battery supply.
I am using linear power supply. Will battery supply improve the performance significantly?

Thanks.

Last edited by wyan; 31st October 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 31st October 2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

1. what source exactly (voltage , output impedance ) ?
2.not necessarily ; why not try it ?
Old 1st November 2013, 03:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
1. what source exactly (voltage , output impedance ) ?
2.not necessarily ; why not try it ?
Zen,

Sorry my bad. I sold off my previous setup and am starting from scratch. Therefore right now the source is computer and I actually used Sennheiser HD250 headphone. I guess that was why. I will soon found out when my full range drivers arrive in a few days.

Just to make sure, I guess we should be able to get close to unit gain? Thanks again. )
Old 9th November 2013, 03:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I received Lowther PM4A and am still waiting for woofers. To do a quick test I connected PM4A to DIY F5 and B1, and then a Studer D730 player. I am very pleased with the result. I actually compared B1 to a Jeff Rowland Capri. There is no much difference in EVERY respect (I am not able to compare the bass performance though). B1 may actually have a bit better sound stage and Capri has a bit better control. But then I believe B1 would be a better choice when I upgrade my CD player or DAC.

Many thanks to Nelson for offering so many great stuffs. Cheers.
Old 9th November 2013, 04:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The B1 is pretty immune to supply quality. There is a case of diminishing returns if you want to spent a lot of time and money in providing it with Diamond Crusted Perfect DC.

A good LM317 regulated 24V supply with decent caps will be better than a cheapie SMPS walmart but after that - as I said, the returns are very minor.
Old 9th November 2013, 04:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
The B1 is pretty immune to supply quality. There is a case of diminishing returns if you want to spent a lot of time and money in providing it with Diamond Crusted Perfect DC.

A good LM317 regulated 24V supply with decent caps will be better than a cheapie SMPS walmart but after that - as I said, the returns are very minor.
Thanks. I guess I will live with the current version for a long while then.

Hide this!Advertise here!