Ironamp Video Posted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Temptation to build a SIT ironamp is high.

However, apart from the semiconductors it is an entirely new amp compared to one of the known L'amp versions and it requires major investment. Do we really need to go the whole nine yards to experience SIT with transformer output*?

After rereading the articles in «*L*'Audiophile*»concerning the NEMESIS amplifier, i came across the «*Compensated Nemesis*». Also rereading the blog from 2005 «*DC compensated SE output transformer*» i thought i would share what i came across, since not all of you may be fluent in French.

The result is that we may be able to do an ironamp without buying a SE output transformer.
Those who allready have a L'amp version could use their power supplies.
Those who have built the inductor version of the L'amp might be able to put their chokes to good use.
Those who have spare heat sinks can do a CCS version.

In «*L'Audiophile*» Pierre Johannet presented the «*Compensated Nemesis*». It uses a gapless output transformer (actually a mains transformer) with flux compensation (CCS version). (translation of the article attached)

In the blog «*DC compensated SE output transformers*» entry #122, plovati posted a proposal for a version with a choke. (cf. Attachment)

I prefer the inductor version over the CCS but care must be taken to guarantee more or less equal currents in the windings...

Best regards

In my opinion its just a journey into one of it...All versions have their own ad-and dis advantages. The simpliest is still the L simple SIT from Michael.
I tried only two of them. But what looks like is that the SIT is a very neutral device. In both versions I tried the sound differences are made by driver and pre amp! So I would not bother so much whit iron. I made it whit iron and the sound is a little bit on darker side, but this is what I like, so its all about taste and color...At the end I must say, 2sk82 is a great transistor! Why the f--- does no one more bother to produce something similar,
it would make more ideal world of music reproduction in my opinion!:D

Compensated Ironamp

In my opinion its just a journey into one of it...All versions have their own ad-and dis advantages. The simpliest is still the L simple SIT from Michael.
I tried only two of them. But what looks like is that the SIT is a very neutral device. In both versions I tried the sound differences are made by driver and pre amp! So I would not bother so much whit iron. I made it whit iron and the sound is a little bit on darker side, but this is what I like, so its all about taste and color...At the end I must say, 2sk82 is a great transistor! Why the f--- does no one more bother to produce something similar,
it would make more ideal world of music reproduction in my opinion!:D

Many thanks for the reply! One day somebody will come up with another interesting semiconductor (hope dies last...)
The primary goal of my previous posting was to make others aware that they might be able to experience an ironamp without having to make any investment in further hardware. All you need is a monoblock of the inductor version of L'amp + the power supply transformer from your second monoblock converted to OT use.

In addition, the articles in L'Audiophile are highly interesting. Those people had done a great job. Particularly i am interested in the ones concerning thermal distortion. Does anybody know about an english version?
Best regards

Fancy input transformers

Nice work there G! A 3-4V range for the N's would agree with what I've seen so far.

I have some fancier ones from Lundahl and Sowter, but I haven't listened to them yet. For the published project I wanted to keep it all Edcor, and leave the tweaking fun to the experts. :)

Hi Mike,
Have you tried those transformers? What part numbers do you use?

Thanks,
Vlad

In early transistors days we have see interstage transformer coupling
solid state amplifier in commercial phonograph from Philco
that is fun to read page with topology explanations from year 1955.

Iron was commonly used and little count of components
i like it ...and though updated to "modern" era can give purer sound.

For better vue please zoom on :magnify:

Best regards
:happy1::wrench:

Attachments

• Philco_TPA-1_All-Transistor_phonograph_-_Radio_and_Television_News_Oct_1955.jpg
    Philco_TPA-1_All-Transistor_phonograph_-_Radio_and_Television_News_Oct_1955.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 483
  • Philco_All-Transistor_Phonograph-1955.jpg
    Philco_All-Transistor_Phonograph-1955.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 474
Ok Philco is push-pull one :)
Was just inspire me to think how much complicated be make
parallel single-ended Ironamp with twice of power ?
Hmm...for house dance party :D
Impedance adaptation scenarios ?

Have a nice day

:car::umbrella:

Attachments

• majorettes.jpg
    majorettes.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Yes, it's certainly an homage to the WE25B. Though I'd love to have some some more info on that one, if anyone would like to share.

Interesting Originals Service Manuals for solid state adaptations of tube amplifiers with schematics,BOM, photos etc...by Western Electric with transformer coupled, lot have ultra minimal signal path and be dedicated to play with high efficiency horns or speakers et voilà

Western Electric

:cheers:

Attachments

• 7-A_5.png
    7-A_5.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 405
  • 7-A_4.png
    7-A_4.png
    164.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 7-A_3.png
    7-A_3.png
    97 KB · Views: 430
  • 7-A_2.png
    7-A_2.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 443
  • 7-A_1.png
    7-A_1.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 515
Shappy

will you recommend me that sort of weed , you're wasting ?

:clown:

Bonjour@Zen Mod

I don't but You have recommended me maybe something ???
:Pumpkin::Pumpkin::Pumpkin::Pumpkin::Pumpkin:

Sorry but if is not connected with transistors like Sit's Vfet's triode valves amplification and transformers coupled or other always Ironamp...i don't wasted Your dodo time.
Any help is Sissi apreciated and she like ZEN MOD ;)

Attachments

246.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Love Sissi.jpg
    Love Sissi.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 156
Should be on track to make the final build video in mid-late March.

Hi Mike
Acronman 2SK82 KD-33 grade is out off stock now i imagine this is reason for adaptation of Ironamp for KE-33.
Personally i have KD grade on my table and think others diyers to.
Could we have two versions KD and KE in your Ironamp video part II ?
Thanks for response :)
Best regards
Christophe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.