Actual NP Speakers Auditioned at BA 2013 in Pass Room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OP amp , drawn as in sch isn't symbol for OP amp , but buffer

The 20H high pass needs to be an op amp, or at least have some gain.

:cool:

Attachments

• OB SPKR.gif
    OB SPKR.gif
    78.6 KB · Views: 510
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks for diagram

I had been reverse engineering the Open Baffle with bottom Slot Loaded Woofer from the picture. I got pretty close on most of the dimensions. I could not be sure about the rake, I thought there was, but was not sure.

I'm going to take some cardboard and do a size mock up to see if a pair would fit in my 9.5 x 14 foot room. My current speakers are 12 inch square.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
It would be cool if someone can comment in the slot sound vs OB bass. I really like an OB bass, what are the advantages apart from sizes of the speaker...

+1

Specifically, the difference between bi-amped baffle mounted woofer, and bi-amped slot loaded woofer. I am sure there is much better bass than with baffle mounted woofer with one amp and passive crossover.

I heard the Pass speaker at BAF 2013 and was impressed. I have a question about "slot loading." From what I have read, including the SLOB article, it appears that the area of the slot opening should be about 1/3 of the area of the speaker cone. If I cut a round hole in a board with an area of about 1/3 that of the cone of my woofer, and mount the woofer behind that hole, have I effectively loaded the woofer in the same way as the woofer in the Pass speaker? I realize that the absence of "floor bounce" might affect the sound, but otherwise does this subject the woofer to the same conditions?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If I cut a round hole in a board with an area of about 1/3 that of the cone of my woofer, and mount the woofer behind that hole, have I effectively loaded the woofer in the same way as the woofer in the Pass speaker?

Interestingly, I tried that experiment, and it did not work as well. It appears
that the slot arrangement as shown imparts more directionality to the
momentum of the air, and puts more pressure toward a listener in front of
the speaker.

:cool:

baffle height?

I have a separate stand mounted open baffle driver and am an owner of the 4015LF drivers. I would like to implement this to cover ~300 Hz down.

Anyone care to speculate as to how bass performance would be compromised if the height of the baffle was reduced similar to the attachment? The stand would be adjacent to the baffle.

gab

Attachments

• Baffle-1.gif
    Baffle-1.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 267

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Any benefits of using 4018 driver? It has a nice high spl shelf till 150hz and naturals ill of with no ugly resonances above... What should be the slot size be? Can you scale it up linearly?

Btw, the thing I like about alpha/Beta is their low mass wich makes the bass really fast. What about slits in this sense?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.