Aleph 2 photo shoot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the coolest amp (or anything) that I have ever made.
Im really pleased with the result of my metal work and the electronics.

Transformers are from Harbuch in Australia. They are 1KVA 35 0 35.
Power supply caps are all surplus. There are 2 x 35 V 100000 in series paralleled with a 70 V 68000 cap per rail total of about 120000 per rail or I like to think of it as half a farad total:) Its so beautiful how my lights flicker on power up, but anything less than a 10 amp fuse eventually blows.
Ive used a 3 watt 1k resistor to across the caps in series to give them equal volt drop. Bride rectifiers are surplus and so is all the metal. The front panel and lid are made of 8mm aluminum plate. The lid has 6mm allen heads bolts recessed into it. All other metal is 4 mm plate.
Cabling is also surplus, in fact al the surplus stuff is out of old mainframe power supplies.
The sinks are from Plinius, all old stock from an amp that never made production.
Boards are from Harvardin, thanks, they are real professional.
All semis are from Mouser, IRFP244 matched.
DC offset is 17mV on one and 22mV on the other. There is no turn on or turn off thump.
Heat is not too bad, they weigh about 25-30 kgs and the thick plate lid helps in the heat transfer. I can keep my hand on for a long time and it don’t burn so Im picking its running in the late 50 degree mark?
Last but not least, orange LEDs. Blue is so 90s:cool:
Nelson if your out there thanks big time.

Attachments

• rimg0044.jpg
    rimg0044.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,312
thanks for the compliments everybody:)

Guss,

the biggest cost was the transformers at about NZ$550.00. Total cost was around 650.00 per amp. (NZ$=$USX0.65) I was quite fortunate to get some big ticket items at a good price like metal and filter caps.

Philo,

Sound is awesome, but I also like my gainclones (little silver amp on woofer) The biggest thing i noticed after short listening was soundstage was huge and they are very smooth amps.
The cute hat is a stone burner. There is a little candle in it:)

Bricolo,

You know your speakers:) These are world audio KLS10 kit. I quite like them, but I dont have much to compare them with. Im thinking of a future speaker project maybe Bob Brines peerless pipes? I have an issue on spending bick bucks on drivers and not knowing how they will sound.

Variac,

scares me to hear calls like that, cos kids are on the horizon:bawling:

Next project is JLH monoblocks, Have some heatsinks from a mainframe I wanna use on something;)

Luke said:
Bricolo,

You know your speakers:) These are world audio KLS10 kit. I quite like them, but I dont have much to compare them with. Im thinking of a future speaker project maybe Bob Brines peerless pipes? I have an issue on spending bick bucks on drivers and not knowing how they will sound.

I know what you mean, since it's the same for me ;)
I consideres Bob's Peerless Pipes. But the 85dB/W efficiency seems low for my gainglone. With your new amps it won't be a problem :D
After some readings on madisound's forum, it seems that polypropylene drivers have a "dark" coloration. And since I want something easy to filter, that reduces the choice to poly and paper cones.
But paper midbasses that look nice from the datasheet are rare. For the mommet I only know the audaw HM170G8, but have very few feedback about this one :(

Hi zygibajt

The chassis is anodised black, however I hear black is hard to achieve and they actually look dark grey in contrast to the sinks. I quite like how his looks.

Bricolo,

Im a bit in doubt about these too because of efficency. I would like a speaker that I can use with any amp. Is ineficency like this common with all TL speakers do you know?
Good luck with your driver selection. If you come up with a nice combo let me know:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.