LSK pre - BAF 2013 - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2013, 11:41 AM   #121
CFT is offline CFT  United States
diyAudio Member

Could you please describe the difference in terms of sonic perception between this amp and the VFET PP?
Old 21st November 2013, 11:20 PM   #122
juma is offline juma  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Skorpio,
the circuit from post #66 had to be severely redesigned to make it work with +/-12V. R4, R5 should be replaced with CCSs and R7, R11 should be 6k8. Usable output swing will be much lower (up to 5V_peak max) and the original idea compromised. I wouldn't do it, although it can be made to work. Try it - you might like it...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MASantos,
I would use the amp in post #118 with preamp giving 20V_peak output swing and Laterals working at +/-24V with 1.2A bias which will produce about 25W_avg at 8 Ohms load. We may push it to 30V_peak swing and use two pairs of Laterals (supplying them with +/-35V, 0.8A bias per pair) for total of about 55W at 8 Ohms. For lower impedance load we would go lower with voltage and raise the current. Of course, something like F4 or some other power follower is a viable option, it's only that I prefer Laterals in Source Follower arrangement.
Anyway, when you know what you need/want, the most appropriate solution will present itself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CFT,
I listened both amps on all of my speakers (Canton CT-1000, Rogers LS3/5a, Epos M5, Cabasse MiniDoris, Dynaudio DIY 3-way sealed+variovent) and the only things I could differentiate out of realm of very subtle nuances is a tiny bit of added gentleness in presentation of female voices on LS3/5a with amp from post #118 of this thread, as well as a tad of more resolute dynamics presented in complex orchestral passages with VFET_PP amp on Canton CT-1000. Otherwise, both amps present the same naturalness, transparency, tonal and spatial balance.
I'm sure that someone else might have a different impressions - I give you mine...
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:02 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Otherwise, both amps present the same naturalness, transparency, tonal and spatial balance.
I'm sure that someone else might have a different impressions - I give you mine...
Thanks. Interesting to know their similarities despite using different types of output devices and having feedback vs none....
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:42 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Yes. I can only confirm what Mr. Pass and others already said - the feedback loop is just a tool, like a fork. You can use it to eat easier or you can stab your self in the eye with it...
When you have a nice, linear circuit, the feedback loop is welcome to define/limit the gain, bandwidth and lower the Zout a bit. Using it to correct the obvious errors made in previous process won't bring much happiness.
The same goes for active devices of different types - using them in accordance with their properties and the with the well chosen aim in mind is what brings fine results. They don't have the 'sound' of their own - it's just the way people use them.

It's just my experience and few grains of knowledge collected during the years that tells me so...
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:34 AM   #125
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juma View Post
Yes. I can only confirm what Mr. Pass and others already said - the feedback loop is just a tool, like a fork. You can use it to eat easier or you can stab your self in the eye with it...
When you have a nice, linear circuit, the feedback loop is welcome to define/limit the gain, bandwidth and lower the Zout a bit. Using it to correct the obvious errors made in previous process won't bring much happiness.
The same goes for active devices of different types - using them in accordance with their properties and the with the well chosen aim in mind is what brings fine results. They don't have the 'sound' of their own - it's just the way people use them.

It's just my experience and few grains of knowledge collected during the years that tells me so...

Great insight...wise words.
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:42 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

I have played with a balanced LTP and balanced complimentary version of this circuit and really like what I have heard. I followed that trail after listening to the Salas RIAA that uses a folded cascode as the gain stage. Wonderful sound. I am trying to decide between the balance version and the balanced version of the BA3 FE. Both can sound very, very good.
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:48 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Great remarks!
I always use my eyes to do the hearing, or judging how amps sound fron the way they look @@"
But reality is often like... a box of chocolates.. haha.
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:34 AM   #128
Skorpio is offline Skorpio  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juma View Post
Skorpio,
the circuit from post #66 had to be severely redesigned to make it work with +/-12V. R4, R5 should be replaced with CCSs and R7, R11 should be 6k8. Usable output swing will be much lower (up to 5V_peak max) and the original idea compromised. I wouldn't do it, although it can be made to work. Try it - you might like it...
Thank you for the answer

My need is a linestage with little gain, and the 12V supply was only to make it easyer (already have one).

But I will make a new with +30V to give the JFETs optimum performance....

Old 22nd November 2013, 02:09 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpio View Post
... My need is a linestage with little gain, and the 12V supply was only to make it easyer (already have one)....
It's not all about gain, but the available output voltage swing too - if you are OK with 5V, go for it (+/-12V PS voltage).
Adjust the circuit accordingly - reserve about 4V for CCS (meaning about 8V of Vds for JFETs), set the Id through JFETs to 80-90% of Idss and account for 8-10mA through BJTs and you'll have a winner.
Old 23rd November 2013, 06:39 PM   #130
indra1 is online now indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Juma, I think polarity of C2 on post #118 should be reversed

Hide this!Advertise here!